Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

Hi Dave!

Thanks! Looks like KA6 can provide 2 stereo analog inputs.

This software intended for people who are lenening/recording air conversations from scanners like Uniden. Here is home page: ProScan. Also you can check this video, but it's poor quality: Uniden Scanner used with Proscan - YouTube

Is it right that in Input Sound Device pull-down menu you see 3 inputs of KA6 (2 analog and one SPDIF)? The menu located at the left from Scope small window.

Hi Dave!

Thanks! Looks like KA6 can provide 2 stereo analog inputs.

This software intended for people who are lenening/recording air conversations from scanners like Uniden. Here is home page: ProScan. Also you can check this video, but it's poor quality: Uniden Scanner used with Proscan - YouTube

Is it right that in Input Sound Device pull-down menu you see 3 inputs of KA6 (2 analog and one SPDIF)? The menu located at the left from Scope small window.

Attached is grab from this Asus home build and although there are two 2496 cards in it Proscan only shows one at a time (no matter what you select) . Similarly the KA6 has two other line inputs, i.e it is a four channel analogue AI (with S/PDIF) but again I can only get two channels at a time to show.

Drivers? I cannot find any menu for selecting these.
I will have a study of the vid later. I also have a Focusrite 8i6 (4 analogue ins) but unless I can select drivers I doubt it will fair any better?

Dave. BTW. Can anyone tell me why screenshots done on the HP laptop come out smaller and "up the corner" yet those on the mainframe come out full screen?

Attachments

• Proscan Delta.png
    Proscan Delta.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 131
Dave!

Not Drivers. Devices! Input Sound Device menu. It's here:

ProScanDAVE.gif

Please post 2 more screens with this menu unfolded (expanded). One with 2 of Delta 2496 and another one with KA6.

BTW, you can do professional screenshots only with area needed by running Snipping Tool in Windows 7 (just press Run and type snip into Search). Select Window and it will let you to capture only active window, but not whole desktop.

Thanks!

P.S.
Also I dreams to have a screens with M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R and Tascam US-16X08 (maybe SMB have and can try?).

Are these what you need?

Dave.

Attachments

• prosc delta all.png
    prosc delta all.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Prosc KA6 et al.png
    Prosc KA6 et al.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 134
Thanks Dave!

This is exactly what I need. Thank you very much for help! Now my question is partially answered, and I only need similar screens took from Fast Track Ultra 8R or/and Tascam US-16X08. I created another thread dedicated to this request: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...-track-ultra-8r-tascam-us-16x08-owners-379931

Glad to help!
I am sure you will find guys with that hardware over at Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media who will be most helpful.

Dave.

This is the first article that I have read and is so cool. Thank you so much, it cleared a lot of things for me. Thanks again.

Hi everybody,
I'm new here in the forum and also on trying to sing on a mic, so I'm quiet ignorant about the topic. I need an USB interface that enables me to record my voice singing on a mic with a backing track played by the laptop, or eventually with a guitar. While I sing it would be cool to have voice+backing track played on the headphones (with few or negligible latency). The recording can be of the only voice or maybe better of both voice and music, in order to check the result right after. I would stay around 100$ (though less won't be bad).
More than a specific model it would be great to know the characteristics of a USB interface that I can use (since I might buy it second hand).
Please ask for any more detailed info you need

Thank you in advance

ps: feel free to move my post if it's not in the right topic

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
I'm new here in the forum and also on trying to sing on a mic, so I'm quiet ignorant about the topic. I need an USB interface that enables me to record my voice singing on a mic with a backing track played by the laptop, or eventually with a guitar. While I sing it would be cool to have voice+backing track played on the headphones (with few or negligible latency). The recording can be of the only voice or maybe better of both voice and music, in order to check the result right after. I would stay around 100$ (though less won't be bad).
More than a specific model it would be great to know the characteristics of a USB interface that I can use (since I might buy it second hand).
Please ask for any more detailed info you need

Thank you in advance

ps: feel free to move my post if it's not in the right topic

What about this:
Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 USB

Hi folks. Back in the day i did quite a bit of home recording. I'm maybe interested in getting back into the hobby with my wife, who is a pretty good singer.

I used a Mackie 1604 mixer as a front end to a Roland VS-880 recorder. I used the Mackie as a pre-amp/pre-eq/pre-fx to get the signals bright, clean & compressed before going into the Roland.

From this thread & the mixer thread, it seems like a desktop mixer really isn't really used anymore. From what I can tell, you just run your mics or other inputs directly to the Audio interface. I know that some of the interfaces have pre-amps, but how would one go about adding compression & eq to the signal? Do the interfaces have software on the PC where you can do this? I can't imagine how you'd ever get a bass drum or something like that to sound good without those controls..

I know that some of the interfaces have pre-amps, but how would one go about adding compression & eq to the signal? Do the interfaces have software on the PC where you can do this?

Welcome to the site. To answer your question, yes!! Most interfaces will come with some "lite" form of a popular DAW program, like Cubase, Sonar or Ableton. Although the lite versions are limited in functionality, you can still do a lot with them and put out a decent mix. When looking around for an interface, be sure to see which programs are provided. And don't worry, if you like the interface but don't like the included software, you can always buy a program.

Processors and effects will be included in the DAW software. They are called plug-ins, which are small programs that run within a host program. They are usually assigned to one specific task like a compressor, reverb or EQ. There is a HUGE after-market for plugs, so if you don't like what is included with the software, you can always buy something else.

Hi Space' people don't usually run any effects going in when using an AI an PC. This is because even the cheapest interface has a massive dynamic range, way better than CD because you would run 24 bits instead of 16 and record at an unnaturally low level (for an old tape jockey!) of an average of -18dBFS*.

This means there is no need for compression or limiting to avoid overload or beat noise, any effects and treatments can be done at a later stage, always preserving the original, virgin take.

*dB "Full Scale" the way signals are measured in the digital realm.

Dave.

Thanks for the answers. Seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be issues with clipping or overload ruining an otherwise perfect take.

The other thing I'm considering is that I need a new mixer for my wife's karaoke setup. I was originally wanting something that would be good for live sound as well as multitrack recording. From what I've gathered though, that's really not necessary.

Thanks for the answers. Seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be issues with clipping or overload ruining an otherwise perfect take.

Yes, quite a possibility but "software" compression/limiting is not going to help! It is the pre amps that will clip long before the digital side is in danger (assuming you get the gain staging correct).

There are digital mixers* that have per channel comp/limiters but I guess at the end of the day there is no real substitute for a good guy on the faders!

*And annyloggy ones as well but they tend to be top end and expensive.

Dave.

Thank you Tim.
As a bass player/singer for 25+ years, I'm finally ready to take a lead role in song writing, and production.
Your breakdown of the foundational steps of music production 101 are helpful, succinct, and appreciated.

Hi guys! just wondering if anybody here can provide their opinion. I've never taken classes/lessons on recording. I taught myself, and I'm a musician. I've been making progress in getting a sound that meets commercial use minimum parameters, but I'm not "there yet". I"m confidence in my musical skills, but certainly not in recording.
My question: would I be able to produce (I know nothing beats recording in a professional studio) professional sounding tracks with the gear I own, specifically, if the computer I'm using has the capability to produce that:
iMac, on OS Catalina
2.9 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5
memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 8 pre, and also have the "solo"
I don't mind investing in a better interface, like an Apollo, but, does it matter if you're only recording VST's?

you can hear my work on my website:

Thanks

Hello I am a musician that wants to get into audio production and recording however I need to know how I can multitrack. I got a Behringer x2222 in 2020 to get better audio quality in my zoom calls and from that i have used the mixer to record. sadly its a working usb audio interface that doesn't support multitrack recording just the 2 main stereo outs mix knobs. a friend at church gave me a old Mackie TT24 mixing console a big step up but I reached out to Mackie support for drivers to get my mixer to connect with my computer.

I was able to get the tt controll software and mackie controll but I cannot get drivers for the mixer or maybe I don't know how to install them. I am looking to get the mixer to run on windows 10 and later 11 when I upgrade.

does anybody have the drivers I can use? Will it work? should I throw it out as well? what's a good comparable modern mixer that will work for recording ??

p.s was also thinking about a focusrite18i20 and using adat on the mixer outs to Audio interface to get extra inputs any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif

2) Why do many interfaces have so many excess analogue and digital SPDIF outputs?
not sure if this has been answered so I'll add my lil opinion here: its a way to get more I/O (inputs/outputs) in and out of the interface. S/PDIF or ADAT are ways to get more sources into and out of the interface.

For example if your interface has two analogue inputs (two guitars for example) but it also has an ADAT inputs which allows for 8 inputs, you could add a device which has 8 analogue inputs (the Focusrite 828 with its digital card option is a fine example) and connect it via ADAT and have an extra 8 inputs into your DAW. This could be 8 bass guitars if you were wild like that or, a bass, a stereo digital piano input, four vocal mics and an electric guitar plugged directly into the 828. All of these would be accessible in your DAW for recording. Please, if this does not make sense let me know.....it was late on a Friday evening where I wrote this :D

Hello I am a musician that wants to get into audio production and recording however I need to know how I can multitrack. I got a Behringer x2222 in 2020 to get better audio quality in my zoom calls and from that i have used the mixer to record. sadly its a working usb audio interface that doesn't support multitrack recording just the 2 main stereo outs mix knobs. a friend at church gave me a old Mackie TT24 mixing console a big step up but I reached out to Mackie support for drivers to get my mixer to connect with my computer.

I was able to get the tt controll software and mackie controll but I cannot get drivers for the mixer or maybe I don't know how to install them. I am looking to get the mixer to run on windows 10 and later 11 when I upgrade.

does anybody have the drivers I can use? Will it work? should I throw it out as well? what's a good comparable modern mixer that will work for recording ??

p.s was also thinking about a focusrite18i20 and using adat on the mixer outs to Audio interface to get extra inputs any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif
Why do you need multiple tracks? Do you intend to have several performers together and record them? If not I am struggling to see the point? Most home recordists 'build' songs a track (or two) at a time. My son does this with a Behrry mixer and a MOTU M4. He records guitar parts and VSTis via MIDI and has built up versions of Bach concertos and a movement of eine kleine nacht musik.

I cannot find much about the Mackie TT24 and I would advise caution. Sweetwater no longer list it and even if you did find drivers for Win 10 you might still be snookered by Win 11 as I have read it has caused a few problems with legacy gear.

As ever, I would suggest RME gear for its supreme quality and great longevity. Many RME interfaces can take two ADAT pre amps giving you 16 tracks+ at base sample rates.

Dave.

I should have said yes I'm looking to get into recording live bands and getting into the audio production field. For me being able to record say a guitar and bass with a full drum set and di's for reamping later would be great! another scenario is recording a live brass band and orchestra and getting a setup where i capture the sound as cleanly as I can thanks for the reply I haven't heard of RME I Will go and check them out

Back