Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

arcadeko,

Thanks for clarifying things for me, I really appreciate it.

Almost every interface will have the standard 1/4" instrument jack as well as an XLR 3-pin mic jack

Yes, I did notice that in the pictures. Does that mean, in order to get stereo audio from my keyboard, I could connect the left channel to the 1/4" input, and the right channel to the XLR 3-in input (with an adapter)?

Is there any reason you want to record the midi also? the midi is just the keystrokes on the keyboard - no sound - but you can apply that to different synths via midi. You could actually record just the midi into Reaper and use a free VST synth to reproducs the sound - then you wouldn't even need an interface because you wouldn't actually need to record an audio signal - just the midi data.

This is something I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to give it a try. I was planning on recording MIDI, send it to my keyboard which then sends it back to my computer in stereo and record that way. In regards to VST synths, I do have Reason 2.5 that I'm planning to use as well. Is that the sort of VST synth sounds that you mean?

Thanks again!

arcadeko,

Thanks for clarifying things for me, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I did notice that in the pictures. Does that mean, in order to get stereo audio from my keyboard, I could connect the left channel to the 1/4" input, and the right channel to the XLR 3-in input (with an adapter)?

This is something I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to give it a try. I was planning on recording MIDI, send it to my keyboard which then sends it back to my computer in stereo and record that way. In regards to VST synths, I do have Reason 2.5 that I'm planning to use as well. Is that the sort of VST synth sounds that you mean?

Thanks again!

Technically you can record one into an XLR and one into a line but just because it's technically possible doesn't mean it will sound good. It might be fine, but you would have better luck using matched cables.

I think I use to have Reason, but you should be able to create a VST track in reason then assign a VST to it - you can get free VST synths at KVR and I think Reason probably comes with one or more virtual synths - this being the case you would not need to send the midi back to your keyboard to record - you would send it to the virtual keyboard in reason which would create a stereo track (as long as its a stereo synt which it probably will be, or you could run it through stereo effects)

I'm sure youtube has some videos on how to play a VST synth in Reason

GL!

Thanks for sharing the information about Multitrack Computer Interface Recording. I assure you new ones well be thankful on reading this great info. Keep it up. :p

I'm a classic newbie (have guitar, vox & about to buy digital multitracker - probably ZOOM R8). About to post a question but read your article first. You describe overdubbing, but surely this makes balancing (say vocal over pre-recorded guitar track) into the new combined track impossible other than by trial & error? So here's my original question. If I record several guitar tracks & a vocal track onto separate tracks I then need to mix them. But they won't all start at the same time! e.g. backing guitar first, then vocals enter after a few bars. How do I get them "synchronised?" Does the computer software handle this automatically?

I'm a classic newbie (have guitar, vox & about to buy digital multitracker - probably ZOOM R8). About to post a question but read your article first. You describe overdubbing, but surely this makes balancing (say vocal over pre-recorded guitar track) into the new combined track impossible other than by trial & error? So here's my original question. If I record several guitar tracks & a vocal track onto separate tracks I then need to mix them. But they won't all start at the same time! e.g. backing guitar first, then vocals enter after a few bars. How do I get them "synchronised?" Does the computer software handle this automatically?

Your DAW software has several tracks - you record whatever guide track you want - many people start with drums, some start with guitar. Then you play back the track while recording the next part. The overdubbing does not combine tracks (which used to be called bouncing tracks, that is the process of combining multiple tracks into one track to free up more tracks for new instruments), overdubbing just lets you add additional parts to the song - you will need a decent interface to do this so latency isn't an issue.

Awesome cheap USB recording device

I would have to recommend the ART USB audio interface for anyone wanting something cheap, but with all the features. At only AUD$140 from Swamp, I could not find a cheaper way.

I am a BRAND-newbie, and a girl, ;) so please bear with me. I think I understand everything you've posted above. I'm using a simple BOSS BR-532 Digital that I can navigate pretty well. Can you tell me (in caveman speak...lol) what the cable is called that connects my 4-track to my computer? It looks like a mini-phone chord jack. Thank you so much. :)

I am a BRAND-newbie, and a girl, ;) so please bear with me. I think I understand everything you've posted above. I'm using a simple BOSS BR-532 Digital that I can navigate pretty well. Can you tell me (in caveman speak...lol) what the cable is called that connects my 4-track to my computer? It looks like a mini-phone chord jack. Thank you so much. :)

Sorry I dont think that unit can transfer to a computer. Looks like it has a midi cable, and an optical audio out for a CD burner - but there is no USB or Firewire port - so it's not a PC interface.

Ok, thanks for the information. Is there any other equipment that I can use besides a CD burner?:confused:

You need to take the audio to from the Boss unit to the inputs on a computer, to transfer from 'analog' to 'digital'. Unfortunately, the A-to-D converters in a standard computer soundcard are inferior and will degrade the sound. You should get an audio interface to do it with better quality.
In the meantime, I am guessing you need either a 2xRCA to 1/8" stereo mini-plug adapter cable to go to the stereo input on your computer from the line out jacks of the Boss. Like this one from Radio Shack

Hi - first post ...be gentle!

I've got a 'studio' at home - good sized, isolated room, built for purpose. Generally used for band rehearsal and noodling around. I run a small PA set-up in there and that goes through an old Spirit Folio desk (16 channels IIRC).

I recently picked up an old Mac G4 solely for the purpose of starting to record some of my own and the bands material. The info in here has given me a lot of pointers, but I just clarity on connecting the desk to the PC:
- I've run a cable connecting the desk to the soundcard, but the result wasn't great.
- Am I right in thinking that I really need to take the desk output (2 channels) to a digital interface and then from there to USB/FW connection on the G4?

Cheers and thanks for all the great info on here!

Doug

- Am I right in thinking that I really need to take the desk output (2 channels) to a digital interface and then from there to USB/FW connection on the G4?

Yes. But if you are seriously getting into recording you should get a mult-track interface like the Tascam 1800 that can do 16 tracks instead of just 2. If your Folio board has individual outs you are good, if it doesn't then just use it for live sound and use the interface for recording. Otherwise you can't mix your tracks.

Help connecting firewire to computer

Thanks for this thread. In the past, I've tried to get started with this but had problems and was too busy to figure it out.

I went into my closet and brushed off the dust to my M-Audio 410 Firewire. I also have a midiman uno connection with a USB to computer and two midi (in and out) I downloaded the driver to my laptop (Windows vista 64 Bit). Everytime I plug it in it starts searching for the driver and then says can't locate it. I already downloaded it and even did an uninstall and reinstall a couple of times. M. Audio control panel is located in the lower right hand corner and all the files are there.

I then tried it on my computer with Windows XP 32 bit. Samething. Then realized that the cable might have it's own driver and it did. So I downloaded it that. Similar problem, everytime I connect it to the computer, it says searching for the midiman uno driver.

Went back to vista to download the uno driver and it says that it doesn't need a driver in Vista.

Neither one is working. I never used the firewire or the cable but they are about 3 or 4 years old.

What can i do to get this setup?
Thanks
David

Thanks for this thread. In the past, I've tried to get started with this but had problems and was too busy to figure it out.

I went into my closet and brushed off the dust to my M-Audio 410 Firewire. I also have a midiman uno connection with a USB to computer and two midi (in and out) I downloaded the driver to my laptop (Windows vista 64 Bit). Everytime I plug it in it starts searching for the driver and then says can't locate it. I already downloaded it and even did an uninstall and reinstall a couple of times. M. Audio control panel is located in the lower right hand corner and all the files are there.

I then tried it on my computer with Windows XP 32 bit. Samething. Then realized that the cable might have it's own driver and it did. So I downloaded it that. Similar problem, everytime I connect it to the computer, it says searching for the midiman uno driver.

Went back to vista to download the uno driver and it says that it doesn't need a driver in Vista.

Neither one is working. I never used the firewire or the cable but they are about 3 or 4 years old.

What can i do to get this setup?
Thanks
David

You should start a new thread with this question.

Back