Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 154

Thread: Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    4,341
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 552 Times in 497 Posts
    Rep Power
    8012023
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Dave, thanks for responding.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Whilst the Tascam certainly has the capability of recording 16 tracks you would have a muddle of inputs if different and variable sensitivities and hooking everything up for transfer and getting consistent levels would, I think be something of a pain.
    This was my concern, the fact that the unit doesn't have 16 dedicated line input inputs. I must admit the price is attractive.....but cheap isn't always useful.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Better I would say would be a dedicated line 16 track converter and two come to mind. The Cymatic LR-16 at ~ 200 and the much more expensive but IMHO probably much better Allen & Heath ICE-16 at ~550. The latter is available in Tascam wired "D" connector format and that would make plugging up very much simpler.
    I will look into these. This wired "D"connector would just go into the back of the deck??
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    As far as transferability is concerned? Both devices dump tracks onto a hard drive as .wavs so I would assume you just find that batch of files in whatever DAW software you are using?
    Thanks, I kind of thought that. I am assuming that the DAW would just serve as a mixer and the files could be opened up in any one of them?

    I am not so very interested in going into the digital realm for recording at this point, but I do want to transfer raw unmixed tape tracks to archive and edit in the PT. My songwriting partner from years back has evolved, while I am still a tape dinosaur.

    Again, thanks for the info.

    Edit; looked into these units and the Allen and Heath for sure looks to be the better of the two. It seems however that the amount of tracks drop down to 8 when using the higher sampler rate. I got all excited at the prospect of sending files via a thumbdrive, but there too, the sample rate is dropped down. I'd love to get the analog files into the PT at the highest possible rate.

    .......Hmmm. More research and study is required.

    But again, Thanks Dave, for pointing me down the road.

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,019
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    WHAAAAT!
    16 bits at 44.1kHz is Waaaay better quality than any tape! The noise floor from even the cheapest converter is going to be at least 20dB lower.

    I sense that most "pros" think super 44k operation is cork sniffery. There are I understand some "technical" reasons for using 96kHz for certain FX/plugins but even that would only be a few tracks, maybe just a stereo pair, at a time.

    Dave.

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    4,341
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 552 Times in 497 Posts
    Rep Power
    8012023
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    WHAAAAT!
    16 bits at 44.1kHz is Waaaay better quality than any tape! The noise floor from even the cheapest converter is going to be at least 20dB lower.

    I sense that most "pros" think super 44k operation is cork sniffery. There are I understand some "technical" reasons for using 96kHz for certain FX/plugins but even that would only be a few tracks, maybe just a stereo pair, at a time.

    Dave.
    What does a good DAt recorder use for bitrate @44.1KHZ?? I'm just asking that because I have done all my mixes not to tape but a DAT @44.1KHZ and that has always sounded great to me.

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,019
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    What does a good DAt recorder use for bitrate @44.1KHZ?? I'm just asking that because I have done all my mixes not to tape but a DAT @44.1KHZ and that has always sounded great to me.
    DAT might be 48kHz by default because of its broadcast connections but that is not going to matter diddly. I don't think they even switch the LPFilters for the tiny HF extension?

    We have all been quite happy with the best of FM stereo sampled at 38kHz for years!

    Dave.

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    4,341
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 552 Times in 497 Posts
    Rep Power
    8012023
    Well Thanks for the info. As I said I'm real green with this digital age.....Lots to learn.

    I must say digging into that A&H unit, it looks real good.

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi all!

    Sorry for dummy question, but I have never touched USB multitrack interfaces. I am looking for USB multitrack recording interface (with 4 or more separate analog inputs) what will appear as separate Wave (MME) Devices in Windows XP/7. Multiple inputs via ASIO/GSIF/etc. will not work for me, because I am using some proprietary software what supports only Wave devices as input sources. I can't use another software, so it's a mandatory requirement. Therefore, I need interface which will give me something like this:

    1010lt_inputs-gif

    I do have Delta 1010LT (PCI card) and it works exactly as I need. However, times of PCI are gone, and I need something similar with USB.

    P.S.
    Also I am interesting in Cakewalk UA-1G. It provides just 2 inputs (it's ok for mobile use), but I am not sure that 2 of these inputs will be available as different Wave/MME devices.

    Thanks!

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,019
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    Quote Originally Posted by WiFi View Post
    Hi all!

    Sorry for dummy question, but I have never touched USB multitrack interfaces. I am looking for USB multitrack recording interface (with 4 or more separate analog inputs) what will appear as separate Wave (MME) Devices in Windows XP/7. Multiple inputs via ASIO/GSIF/etc. will not work for me, because I am using some proprietary software what supports only Wave devices as input sources. I can't use another software, so it's a mandatory requirement. Therefore, I need interface which will give me something like this:

    1010lt_inputs-gif

    I do have Delta 1010LT (PCI card) and it works exactly as I need. However, times of PCI are gone, and I need something similar with USB.

    P.S.
    Also I am interesting in Cakewalk UA-1G. It provides just 2 inputs (it's ok for mobile use), but I am not sure that 2 of these inputs will be available as different Wave/MME devices.

    Thanks!
    Not sure I quite understand your problem WiFi but if I knew the software you were using I might find a demo of it and see if my NI KA6 answers your purpose? It has 4 analogue inputs plus two more via S/PDIF. The latency is better than the Delta cards, I have a two 2496s in this PC.

    Dave.

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Dave,

    My problem is very simple. Most of multitrack soundcards doesn’t appear as separate Wave/MME devices. They are usually appear as one device, and multichannel I/Os appear only in DAWs.

    You can download this software and try: http://www.proscan.org/ProScan_7_8.zip (it's very small). Just install, run in demo mode and go to: Recorder > Input Audio Device. And try to take a screenshot of Input Audio Device pull-down and post it here. It will help. Really appreciate your input!

    P.S.
    I do not care about latency. It does not matter in case of air transmittion recordings (purpose I using the multitrack soundcard).
    Last edited by WiFi; 04-18-2015 at 14:05.

  9. #139
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,019
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    Got it!
    Will plug up the KA6 and report back the Morrow.
    Must pit now.

    Dave.

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,019
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    Is the attached of any use?

    The level on the top track comes from an AKG P150 stuck in front of telly.
    I included the Windows "mixer" seemed moot?

    I could not in the 10 mins I have been messing with the program, find any reference to drivers? Tell me how and I shall be happy to look.

    Fascinating software. WTF is it for/do? Is it expensive?

    N.B. For convenience this was done on an HP i3 laptop running W7 64 bits Home Premium. I can rig a much more powerful Asus MOBO+ 6core AMD if needs be? Same OS.

    Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scanshot-png  

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit vs. Computer Based Recording Setup
    By fin13 in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 06:38
  2. Computer Based Recording Setup vs. Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit?
    By fin13 in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 16:23
  3. MultiTrack Or Computer Interface
    By RufusTheDufus in forum Newbies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 00:26
  4. Multitrack Computer Recording
    By Fbhooked in forum Newbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 02:43
  5. Computer Recording or Multitrack Workstation?
    By jwai in forum Recording Techniques
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 23:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •