introduction

MARKWOOL

hi i'm a bit puzzled as to why i haven't been here sooner as i first got started on the BR 864 way back when a guitar forum member privately online taught me the basics so far as i needed to know at that time .Music hasn't so much been self taught as a first generation musician but i have clattered my way around to end on a product of varying quality and since the first second hand BR machine i have long since upgraded to the absolutely amazingly and suited to what i do 800 version of this piece of kit .
It has turned out for me as an at home amateur to be most suited as a work station come audio interface into a computer studio piece of apparatus but its a good job its also very portable because until now very recently i have never been quite satisfied with the surrounding setup .Now i am absolutely at the setup i want as a singer songwriter acoustic guitar player that often but scarcely included instrument plugins.I should also mention i run the Roland AC 33 acoustic chorus amp into the 800 through the line in to which i can attach by its two channels a dynamic mic for vocals and a guitar line for semi acoustic. I am now to realise as my understanding and ability develop that using the 800 as a studio is great and on the unit itself things sound ok but i like the also ability afterwards to use the 800 as an interface by the usb to a laptop/monitor speakers and use up until now audacity to do the real mix preferring the hdmi route off the laptop to a large telly on the wall. I going to get to the reason i have only just joined a forum specifically for the br800 is that no way will i turn my back on the unit itself but i have just recently realised audacity is never going to get me to an end product at the required level and now i am faced with the complexity of real music recording and studio DAWs being audacity is more a reporters or lecturers piece of kit for spoken broadcast and auditory audio work the professional musicians place of creation belongs digitally within the more complete and not so free DAW software now out there if your looking to master your music after recording off the br800 and/or use it as an audio interface.
I hope i'm not just rambling on so the question i have is where is the quality of the sound i am producing with everything plugged into the br unit i am imagining it has a sound card producing sound or carrying sound.

BUT what happens to the sound when you start using it as an interface which goes through a mediocre laptop .what i mean is are you then reduced to the sound the laptop with its sound card can produce using a DAW like audacity or now it looks like i'm going to have to choose a more complete DAW .

I first thought that the computer would make a connection and disable its sound card and use the usb connection to choose the much better quality br800 sound then to direct to head phones or monitor speakers .

Anyway i have come to know more about the br800 and best routs and practices as an amateur to learn enough to maybe complete my home studio with a quality DAW which maybe looks to be studio one prime as a start.

I'M NOT GOING TO READ THIS BACK BECAUSE I PROBABLY WON'T POST IT ....and its been a good conversation lol

If I get your drift correctly Mark? There IS no such thing as a "mediocre" laptop, not at least when it comes to handling digital audio. All computers just crunch the numbers. For sure a PC can be too slow and this can cause dropouts and clicking if the buffer is set too low but that is unlikely to affect a recording of a few tracks, especially if you are using few plugins. If the laptop has a better than 2Ghz 2 core CPU, 4G ram and 240G hard drive it will surely run 1/2 doz tracks no sweat. Most in the last ten years are way better than that.

But, are you using the laptop's soundcard to listen to your stuff? If so that is not so good (won't affect recordings of course) and you would be advised to get a modest interface. Steinberg UR22, Focusrite 2i4, the latest Mackie offerings..DO get two mic channels!

Dave.

If you use the BR800 as an interface, you should route all sound through it, whether input or output. Whatever DAW you use, you should be able to send its output back to the BR800 and bypass the laptop's internal sound. That means. of course, that you need to hook up speakers, headphones through the BR800.

If you use the BR800 as an interface, you should route all sound through it, whether input or output. Whatever DAW you use, you should be able to send its output back to the BR800 and bypass the laptop's internal sound. That means. of course, that you need to hook up speakers, headphones through the BR800.

+1, I did not know how useful the monitoring controls would be on the BR800? The quality should be fine (but note only unbalanced RCA outs) and if control is a bit fiddly I can vouch for the Mackie Big Knob Passive controller.

Dave.

+1, I did not know how useful the monitoring controls would be on the BR800? The quality should be fine (but note only unbalanced RCA outs) and if control is a bit fiddly I can vouch for the Mackie Big Knob Passive controller.

Dave.

It certainly doesn't appear to be as functional as an interface as dedicated interfaces. Being able to monitor computer output while recording might be tricky.

Back