Introduce Myself

Hexiv

Well Names karl. Bought Me first pair of turntables and started mixin at the age of 13,back then house,hard house,techno and now moved on to drum n bass and dubstep. I love musik with a passion!! Iv always wanted to have a crack at makin my own drum n bass tunes. I thought about gettin myself on a musik tech course at a college down my way but found out it's 2 and a half day's a week during the day which i just cant afford to do. So im kinda stuck now on which way to go but im guessin this site should give me sum good info on where to start?. Im planning on making a computer based studio at home. Now iv heard that i need to get a mac and use cubase,that's as far as i got!!??

Im not even sure if im posting this in the right section,proberly not!!

So i guess i would just like to say hi to everyone and im goin to have a read through the site to see where to get me started!!

Thanks all

Hey, welcome Karl! Glad you joined the forum.

So there are many ways to go about recording audio. Cubase on a Mac is certainly one option, but there are many others to choose from that you might want to explore before deciding on Cubase for Mac.

To give you a little background information: Cubase is a DAW (digital audio workstation). There are many other DAWs out there such as Reaper, Logic, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Reason, Sonar, etc. It is up to you to look at all of the functions of these DAWs and pick the best one for you. Your computer is also another variable: some people say Macs are better for recording, and some say PCs are, but the reality is that in the end either system gets the job done. If you already have a PC that has some pretty good specs, you might want to get started recording on it and then move up to a better system when you're ready.

Now, how do you plan on making music? Do you want to record real live instruments, instruments made on the computer, turntables, vocals, or a little bit of each? Telling us this will help us give you some advice on what you should buy and what is the best setup for you. In the meantime, I recommend browsing this forum and collecting as much information you can get.

Last edited:
Welcome Karl ! Some good advice there from guitarplayr82.
Which part of West Sussex are in, Brighton, Lewes or in that region ?
Have a good browse, there's gold in these here hills ! And some tin too....

Thanx for the welcome guy's and GUITARPLAYR82,BIG thankyou for the info there. GRIMTRAVELLER im about 30min drive from brighton.

Well basicaly im wanting to have a go at making all kinds of dance musik mainly drum & bass and dubstep. We do have a p.c here but it's my dads computer and to be fair its old and now very slow!!. So first thing to get myself is a brand spankin new one!. Iv decided that im gunna save up for a mac and hopefully run cubase on it.

Im guessin if i want to add vocals or instuments to my projects then im gunna need a mixer,is this right??. But before i even get that far im gunna just have a go at possibly makin sum beats and see how i get on.

I dont earn a very good wage so its gunna take me sum time to get all the equipment i need,so right now im savin up for the mac and software. Obviosly i will be needing sum speakers but Am i right in sayin that i need to get a soundcard and a MIDI controller??. These are the next too thing's i need to learn about Soundcards and MIDI. Im hopefully meetin up with a chap down my way who's been makin his own musik for a few year's now so im hoping that will be bloody good start for me too!!.

Cheers guy's

Well basicaly im wanting to have a go at making all kinds of dance musik mainly drum & bass and dubstep. We do have a p.c here but it's my dads computer and to be fair its old and now very slow!!.

Computers don't need to be killer fast for moderate recording. I usually keep my track counts below 12 and run one VSTi, and used to do it all with an old pentium 4. Double check the spec on the computer and post it here. Let some of the experts weigh in on its merits.

So first thing to get myself is a brand spankin new one!. Iv decided that im gunna save up for a mac and hopefully run cubase on it.

Any particular reason you want a Mac? Hint: they don't record audio any better than a PC, just more expensively. Cubase is a good option, but most DAW's perform the same. The minor differences are in the User Interface and how it will fit into your workflow.

Im guessin if i want to add vocals or instuments to my projects then im gunna need a mixer,is this right??.

Um, no, another misconception (the Mac being the first). You need an audio interface. A device that will take the analog signals on your mics, guitars, etc and convert them to digital before going to your computer. You'll want to mix in the computer using your DAW, like Cubase. Not on a mixer.

And, take note, most interface units will come with some 'Lite' form of a popular DAW program like Cubase, Ableton, Sonar, etc. So be sure to look at that when shopping around. While not quite as capable as the full blown versions, they are very functional in their own right. They will probably provide you with all the function you need to get started. THEN, you can make a more informed decision on which to buy if youdecide to upgrade later.

I dont earn a very good wage

Right, so forget the mac, the mixer and software. Look for an interface with software, microphones, Monitors and room treatment.

Am i right in sayin that i need to get a soundcard and a MIDI controller??.
The interface will act as your soundcard, and most will have a midi port as well.

Here's a list of USB interfaces. You didn't mention what or how you plan to record; maybe just yourself, or you and a friend, or a full band, whatevers, but for most DIY'ers who are writiing and recording themselves, a 2 channel interface works well. If you're doing drums and/or a full band, you'll need an interface with more inputs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

Sweetwater is in the US. I'm sure there are sources available in the UK. Maybe Grimtraveler can give you a heads up on where to shop.

peace,

Look for an interface with software, microphones, Monitors and room treatment.

Monitors: I just want to add to this about monitors and give you a heads-up. Monitors are very different from regular consumer speakers because they deliver a "flat" responce (no EQ on the output). This is very important for mixing as you can hear the exact tone your tracks have and you can get a very "accurate" mix. When it comes time to buy monitors, make sure you look for a flat mix.

Welcome hexiv and transcribe!

There's alot of info on this site.
Always try to use your search button first,..before
asking a question.
Most likely, The question you might have,.. have been asked before
on here.
Always try that first,..and if you don't get your result,..post away.
There's a ton of great info on here, and some really nice people
willing to help.

I'm thinking Transcribe is a spammer, but he made a pertinent post (albeit, in the wrong thread) so we'll follow him.

The minor differences are in the User Interface and how it will fit into your workflow.

You need an audio interface. A device that will take the analog signals on your mics, guitars, etc and convert them to digital before going to your computer. You'll want to mix in the computer using your DAW, like Cubase. Not on a mixer.

And, take note, most interface units will come with some 'Lite' form of a popular DAW program like Cubase, Ableton, Sonar, etc. So be sure to look at that when shopping around. While not quite as capable as the full blown versions, they are very functional in their own right. They will probably provide you with all the function you need to get started.

The interface will act as your soundcard, and most will have a midi port as well.

You didn't mention what or how you plan to record; maybe just yourself, or you and a friend, or a full band, whatevers, but for most DIY'ers who are writiing and recording themselves, a 2 channel interface works well. If you're doing drums and/or a full band, you'll need an interface with more inputs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

Sweetwater is in the US. I'm sure there are sources available in the UK. Maybe Grimtraveler can give you a heads up on where to shop.

peace,
There's a few here but Studiospares are as good a place as any to start.

Back