Installing a Crossover

Geoffro01

Hi All. I have a home DJ set up of a Active sub and 2 x speakers that run off it too. I’m looking to add 2 x PA Loudspeakers with an amp to that also. i had previously ran the 2 x PA speakers by themselves but found the highs to be too high so i have purchased a crossover to use to hopefully solve this. crossover input / outputs are XLR and my PA Speaker inputs are speckon .... any recommendations on how to get by this ??

If your PA speakers come out of the sub, the sub should have its own crossover.

If you can specify make and model of your bits of equipment, that would be a help.

If your PA speakers come out of the sub, the sub should have its own crossover.

If you can specify make and model of your bits of equipment, that would be a help.

yeah 2 x smaller speakers and sub came as a package. amp is built into sub ( Leem SP1508 ) so sub will have its own crossover. It’s more my other amp ( Behringer EP4000 ) and PA speakers ( Behringer Eurolive B1520 - 800 w) that i need a little help with. Crossover is a Citronoc XA-3-B. Amp has both XLR and Speakon output options so that’s all good but crossover only has XLR input & outputs and the PA Speakers only have Speakon inputs.
Can you go from XLR to Spekon ... ?

You would generally put the cross over before the Behri amp, and let the amp feed the speakers via Speakon directly.

So you would need to take a feed from your Leem system, go into the crossover (XLR to XLR) then out of crossover into amp (XLR to XLR).

OK so this makes a little sense now. Also to confuse you a little more from my DJ mixer i will split the outputs and have 1 x going to the Leem and the other i will now run to the crossover direct from the mixer ( XLR to XLR ) then out of crossover to amp ( XLR to XLR ) then i can switch out of amp to Speakon and plug into the PA Speakers.
Checking the outputs of my mixer i can see master ( AUX - currently used to run the Leem ) and balanced output ( XLR ) i take it both these will have the same output signals ??

If the problem is with nasty high frequencies the crossover isn't going to help. All it does is pick the point where the split between subs and tops happens - often 80-120Hz. The mids and the highs then go to the speakers. A graphic eq could help tame and hard HF you get, a crossover won't. Usually though, nasty HF is common with smaller tops that have horn drivers that sound great until a certain volume then break up into that horrible nasty ear hurting sizzle.

Given that the Behri B1520 is a full range speaker, you might consider not using the crossover and going direct from mixer to amp then to speaker and using its full range. That might provide a usefulenhancementto what you get out of the Leem

Back