Insert Jacks........AAAAHHHHHh!!!!!!!!

Mojo

Ok here is the deal
I have a Fostex FD-8 and an Alesis Nanocompressor. Now the problem i have is connecting the two together. The Fostex has 1 insert jack for one track and the compressor has 2 jacks (input, output)
2=1 huh? I've managed to get the signal from the recorder to the compressor....now how do i get it back.
Please help....I'm sure everyone knows how frustrating this can get.

Hi Mojo.

First-- I feel your pain! With the help of all the folks in this room I am finally learning how best to hook up my external fx to my Fostex 450 board.

If your board is like mine, maybe this will help. You will need two regular RCA cables and two RCA-pairs-to-one 1/4" jack converters

Say you want to hook up a compressor to channel 1. The mic plugs right into track 1 like normal. Then I insert one RCA cable into the "send" jack on the track. I am using a normal RCA cable with two plugs at each end. Call the end that goes into the board "B," and the end that goes into the fx "F." So now I have plugged one of the RCA plugs in "B" into the "send" jack on the board. The other RCA plug of "B" is left dangling free. I then take the far end of the cord-- the "F" pair. I plug these into an adapter that ends in a 1/4" jack. This jack goes into the "input" plug on the back of the compressor.

So much for cable 1. Now we gotta get the signal back to the board.

Take another cable identical to the first one. Plug the two ends of cable #2's "F" end into a 1/4" adapter and plug this into the "output" plug on your compressor. Then plug one of the "B" ends of cable #2 into the "RECEIVE" jack on channel 1 on the baord. (You will leave one of the RCAs dangling free like the first time.)

It reads much more difficult than it is to implement.

Hope this helps.

jethani

Back