Input/Output question

alphacrom

Audio Hobbyist
Hey e'body,
I have an Audigy 2 soundcard (only the finest for my projects!!!). I use Reaper software. I have a stereo drum track as track one on my interface (it sounds great... I'm fine with it). My problem is this:
When I attempt to record a bass track, it records both the new bass track and the drum playback. Can I change my input/outputs somehow to fix this? Do I need a new soundcard (I emphasize "need") with more channels.

Somebody help a noob out...

Some how your output is feeding your input. Maybe the only the right side of the drum track is coming back in.

Yeah, that's what's happening.... It's the "somehow" part I need to sort out. I was a studio engineer in a mid level studio for, like, 5 years. I got pretty good at it. But it was already set up and had some really sweet stuff.
Now I'm in my basement with a standard (but high quality and power) PC, a small mixer and a just above stock soundcard. In Nuendo, I could click a button and adjust input outputs. But now I'm stuck.

Thanks, for the input, nonetheless, gcapel.

I would route your playback to a seperate stereo channel on your mixer and use two mono channels (via inserts) from the mixer to input to the pc.

BEEEEEEAAAAMMMMM!!!
I've got a left channel... I've got a right channel! I can use one for in and one for out. Leaves me a one-ear playback, but it is sufficient.

Thanks, gcapel for the mental shoulder-boost!

Hey e'body,
I have an Audigy 2 soundcard (only the finest for my projects!!!). I use Reaper software. I have a stereo drum track as track one on my interface (it sounds great... I'm fine with it). My problem is this:
When I attempt to record a bass track, it records both the new bass track and the drum playback. Can I change my input/outputs somehow to fix this? Do I need a new soundcard (I emphasize "need") with more channels.

Somebody help a noob out...

If you're running windows, go into "sounds and audio devices" in control panel,
the "audio" tab, the "sound recording" frame and click the volume button there.
Check to see where your computer is looking for the input. Make sure it only
records whats GOING IN to your computer, as it could be just recording
everything the computer "hears" (everything that comes out of the speakers
if you get me). In other words, its recording the drums because they're
playing back, and recording the bass because it TOO is coming out of the
speakers.

Let me know how ya get on dude

Phil... you are a lovely man. Virtually and platonically speaking, of course. That was what I needed.
And here I was thinking I would be relugated (sic?) to a left/right audio universe. Sir, you have set me free!

Thanks bunches, blokes. I'll have some sampleable audio amuse-bouches for y'all soon.

Phil... you are a lovely man. Virtually and platonically speaking, of course. That was what I needed.
And here I was thinking I would be relugated (sic?) to a left/right audio universe. Sir, you have set me free!

Thanks bunches, blokes. I'll have some sampleable audio amuse-bouches for y'all soon.

Groovey :cool:

It's all worth that lovely thank you :D

Back