Info needed on replication media

RogerL.

Another newbie question here . . . okay lets say I've finished my mixing and mastering and I have my album on my computer and would like to send it to a place to be replicated. What is the best media to use to send it to them so they will have a copy to keep on file to do replication now and in the future? CD-RW? Thumb drive? Also what format? Thanks in advance :o

I've only done this a handful of times, but any time I did the firm requested a "Gold Master" which they would duplicate.

I guess the point is if it's wrong, it's my fault.

The best thing to do is ask. In this day and age people reply very quickly.

Just in the sense that it's final and is the prototype for all your copies.
It has to be perfect. The mastering is done, the track order is correct, it complies whatever the standard is.

I don't know a huge amount about it beyond that, but I know other users on here do, so I'll step aside. :)

Check with the duplication place. If you want a CD that can be played on any CD player, (not just computers), many places want a "Red Book" disc.

^^^ What mjb says. Check with the place. Most often they want a red book disc.

However, some places will create a red book disc for you . . .usually at a price.

I once sent a red book disk for replication. There was a problem with it, so I was about to send another, when they offered to extract the tracks and create their own.

You may, for example, be able to send them a data disk with the WAV files, and ask them to create the red disc from that.

Back