Impact Twin Questions

im4peace

I'm new at this so bear with me...
After reviewing all the options I opted to purchase an Impact Twin which comes with their Near software.
When I first powered it up the Stereo/Mono/Side and Compression control lights wouldn't switch. I turned unit off and turned it back on and that seemed to correct the problem (first reason to get nervous)
Trying to slowly work my way through setup I first connected a tape player output to several of the inputs (the combo front panel inputs and the rear panel inputs). In no case could I monitor the signal with headphones thru the front panel jacks. It seems to me that something might be wrong here.
I fired off a message to TC and they responded that I needed to do a screenshot of the Near panel display.
Here's where it gets really scary. When I tried to restart the Near program I got a message it wouldn't initialize. (2nd reason to get nervous)
I clicked on a button to check for updates and discovered that my brand new Impact Twin now had a new software version 2.5. I downloaded that, unzipped the files and did the auto uninstall process. When I tried to start the program I got a "won't initialize' error and when I clicked on that it suddenly re-booted my computer. Not only that it took me three tries to get Internet Explorer and Outlook Express to fire up.
I sent another message to TC but now I'm really nervous about this device and their software.
Does anybody have any experience with this equipment and maybe have some insight into either making it operational or do I have a real lemon on my hands.:confused:

An update re Impact Twin experience

Well, I've had this thing for over a month now and I've spent well over 40 hours trying to get it working and still fighting it. I'm now convinced that a large part of the problem, if not all of it, is that the TCNear software is faulty. The one positive is that someone on their support end at least responds daily to my setup experience. I've just downloaded a Windows hotfix and some Microsoft dotnet software and attempted to delete registry entries all at their direction (their regsvr32 command doesn't work so I'm stuck halfway through their list of fixes).

I'm extremely frustrated at this point. I've got a $400 boat anchor, tons of time invested and no end in sight. Does anybody - ANYBODY - out there have any suggestions or insight? :(

Back