I'm ready to purchase my home studio gear and I need your advise

xmanz3

I'm a keyboard player and I currently have the famous Yamaha DX-7 and Korg X-2. The gear that I'm planning to buy is as follow:

1. Workstation- Yamaha MOXF8
2. DAW- Studio One-Free version
3. Audio Interface- Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 or 2i4
4. Microphone- SM58-$129.99 with stand, cable and windscreen and possibly SM57 for guitars
5. Headphones- Senheiser HD280 Pro
6. Studio Speakers- Tannoy Reveal 502

I'm wondering if this package will be sufficient for me to start recording some tracks. Also, once you finish recording are the songs coming out as a wave file?

Thanks,

X-Man

Yes, that setup is "sufficient" but marginal IMHO.

I have the Tannoy 5As and love them but for wideband keyboard work I think you should consider the bigger 802s.

Then, the 2i2? Seriously, with all that MIDI kit about? The 2i4 as a minimum but it makes vastly more sense to me to go for an AI with two extra line inputs so that one keyboard at least can be permanently connected as well as the mic(s).

The 6i6 fills this role but as ever, if you want the lowest possible latency sub £200 got to the NI KA6.

Dave.

Yes, that setup is "sufficient" but marginal IMHO.

I have the Tannoy 5As and love them but for wideband keyboard work I think you should consider the bigger 802s.

Then, the 2i2? Seriously, with all that MIDI kit about? The 2i4 as a minimum but it makes vastly more sense to me to go for an AI with two extra line inputs so that one keyboard at least can be permanently connected as well as the mic(s).

The 6i6 fills this role but as ever, if you want the lowest possible latency sub £200 got to the NI KA6.

Dave.

I have the 2i2 and although I think it's great... I agree...
Luckily, I run Maschine so have midi ports from there...

Back