Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you HAD to use the following gear...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    This upsets me as they make very good foot stools for guitarists.
    ugh...If I knew then what I know now.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    This is all great stuff! Correct assumption on the free gear so I said why the heck not. I do have a little 4 channel PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL USB interface that I may work into the equation for now. I could use the 1508 to mic and live-mix a kit or similar and route the outputs into the AudioBox and still have two channels to play with. Doesn't give me as much flexibility to mix in post but why not learn how to get it right on the front end, eh? The ultimate endgame here is to custom build a PC for the studio so the MOTU may get revived down the line with the right PCI/PCIe cards in some future machine. Thanks again for the welcome and great input!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Presumably it's free gear. He could make a pretty decent recording rig out of it. I happen to use a Tascam M-2600 Mk II and a MOTU 2408 Mk II + 24i. It all works quite well.
    After a little bit of digging, I think I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a decent 8-channel rackmount interface with an ADAT input and use the MOTU 2408 as a standalone A/D converter for the M-1508 into said interface for a total of 16 channels. I'm guessing that's similar to the setup you have? Thanks again everyone!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanKaschak View Post
    After a little bit of digging, I think I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a decent 8-channel rackmount interface with an ADAT input and use the MOTU 2408 as a standalone A/D converter for the M-1508 into said interface for a total of 16 channels. I'm guessing that's similar to the setup you have? Thanks again everyone!
    Nope, the setup I use (that belongs to a bassist friend of mine) has a PCI-424e card which can host up to 4 Audiowire devices for up to 96 channels of I/O. We have 32 channels of analog I/O available and are using 26 of the inputs (24 from the mixer channels + stereo analog mix) and 4 channels of output (stereo headphone playback mix + stereo control room playback mix).

Thanks
    Nope, the setup I use (that belongs to a bassist friend of mine) has a PCI-424e card which can host up to 4 Audiowire devices for up to 96 channels of I/O.
    Roger that. Before I assume anything further, will the setup that I described work like I'm thinking it will? Looking at something basic for now like a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, PreSonus 1818VSL, or a MOTU 8Pre.

Thanks
    did the 2408 come with the soundcard ? You'd need the PCIe 424 soundcard and drivers for the motu 2408. Hook up your mics into the tascam board, then use insert cables into the insert jack. that gives you preamp I/0. Hook the insert cables to the motu 2408. just pick a pair of in and outs on the motu to run to the tape deck, if wanted.

Thanks
    Gotcha. Even for use in standalone mode, eh? Might have me a nice paperweight for now

Thanks
    The 2408 series can be used in standalone mode as a D/A or A/D converter.

MOTU.com - Using a MOTU Audio Interface as a Standalone A/D or D/A Converter

Thanks
    The 2408 series can be used in standalone mode as a D/A or A/D converter.

MOTU.com - Using a MOTU Audio Interface as a Standalone A/D or D/A Converter
    With no soundcard or computer, correct? I was thinking Tascam to standalone MOTU via direct outs/analog ins (which I've already managed) then MOTU to USB interface via ADAT out/ADAT in. Then when I connect that interface to the computer via USB (which is what I'm rocking for the moment) I should see the 8 pre's from the interface plus the 8 channels from the Tascam by way of the MOTU (provided that I get an interface that offers that functionality) ... I think ... right? ��*♂️ Still learnin'

Thanks
    That should work though I can't guarantee it. It will require proper clock master/slave settings. There are a couple of buttons on the front of the 2408 that let you set the I/O options.

Thread Information