An Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomanderson1991

I was out today and I thought of an idea to make myself and any others who are new like me get moving with the recording, well there is two parts to my idea.

First and most simple:
Set a plan and deadline over a week to record a song whether it be live instruments, midi. It can be instrumental or with lyrics, you must do something each day obviously if other things conflict with your plan then it doesn't matter so for example say Day 1 - Find a suitable chord progression.

Second and more difficult to do:
Have an experienced member 'partner' up with a new guy and the experienced member if they feel like it can set tasks for there partner to do and obviously will be there to help if any is needed then at the end of the week post the final piece for review.

What does everyone think ?

I'm not opposed to helping in that fashion. Probably not for everyone, but i don't mind.

I'd suggest picking 4 instruments that you want to work on and arrange for those 4 only, to start. Keeps it simple that way. I'd also suggest writing a brief song, more like a jingle, 30 seconds or so, (with an intro, chorus, and outro) to keep it compact enough to make your deadline, and still be long enough to get the needed experience.

So we're clear, this would be a recording/mixing clinic, not a song writing clinic, correct?

Well yeah it would be more of a recording/mixing clinic however I'm sure there is some people who have no music experience at all who might need help with writing.

Ok Tom,

Here's your mission. Write and record a 4 instrument, 30 second piece. Don't make it suck. And put a link to it back into this thread. I'm giving you 4 days because 7 is too much time.

Do your best to record and mix it using any techniques you've learned. We'll go from there.

a) you can't rush creativity

b) that's called an internship

But yes, having goals is good. And trying to accomplish at least one thing a day is considered living well. And setting hard goals can work if you're just copying someone elses work. But if you're trying to invent something that's never existed before (in your experience anyway), not really realistic IMO. My creations of sorts generally take at least a day to fester in my head, sometimes months or years, before I know how to get there from here and can START doing just that. But I tend to do things the hard way by default. i.e. pick and shovel as opposed to bobcat / catepillar.

At the risk of being barred from the newbie forum (oh well...), why the fuck would anyone want to help you, in particular, Tom?

You jumped into the Songwriting and Composition forum several days back with a 23 second piece of ambient guitar noodling over the same 4 chords and stated that you didn't know where to take it...

In a spirit of helpfulness, despite the almost complete lack of originality you were displaying in either the backing track or the guitar noodling, I (encouragingly) gave you some specific advice as to what you might like to do to it to create a real, actual piece of music from it.

And the response from you was......

Nothing.

And then you lob back in here wanting someone else to run your life for you...

You want people to help you? A word of appreciation for those that try would be a good strategic plan.... unless, of course you think you're so preternaturally gifted that your talent will conquer all... trust me, you're not...

Have a nice day! :cool: :laughings:

You want people to help you? A word of appreciation for those that try would be a good strategic plan....

Yep. I too, went out on a limb for you Tom, and no follow up at all from you ..... Nothing. I'm out.

Well, I think it's a good idea, but in saying that i've not seen any of your other postings :) Looks like this isnt going to work out!

I think it's good idea in principle but the inevitable problem is going to be lack of willing 'mentors'. See, a lot of people just post here when they can take a 5 minutes out from whatever they're doing. Others of us mostly post from the office because we're trying to avoid doing our jobs. While I applaud anyone who is willing to participate, it's understandable that a lot of people just aren't going to go for it. Investing time into mentoring a complete stranger is not something an awful lot of people have the time for.

I would like to add that I think rami deserves a special commendation for his entirely contsructive and neccessary posts on the matter...

I would like to add that I think rami deserves a special commendation for his entirely contsructive and neccessary posts on the matter...

Thank you. I pride myself on being the only one that was realistic enough to point out, in an appropriately sarcastic way, how ridiculous and un-realistic this "idea" is. I apologize to anyone who now has to surgically clean the sand out of his vagina. :D

I would also like to thank legionserial for making it obvious that he totally agrees with me, based on his opinion on this ridiculous and un-realistic "idea". :)

Thank you. I pride myself on being the only one that was realistic enough to point out, in an appropriately sarcastic way, how ridiculous and un-realistic this "idea" is. I apologize to anyone who now has to surgically clean the sand out of his vagina. :D

I would also like to thank legionserial for making it obvious that he totally agrees with me, based on his opinion on this ridiculous and un-realistic "idea". :)

Effectively I do agree with you, yes. But this is the newbie section. It's not so much how the OP feels about it that concerns me. It's that that sort of sarcasm can alienate other newbies if they think those are the sorts of responses they are going to get to their questions. Bear in mind that a lot of newbies aren't really too confident about whether their questions are stupid or not. Personally I don't beleive there is any such thing as a stupid question if you are trying to learn something, but if they think there's a chance that their question is stupid, and that there's also a chance their going to get a bunch of sarcasm, then they won't ask. I know that when I was a newbie I was always a little nervous about asking questions for these reasons.

What I'm effectively saying is please could you take the sarcasm to the mic forum where we can all enjoy it? :p

Damn! And I was going to ask RAMI to pair up with me on this venture. :D

Effectively I do agree with you, yes. But this is the newbie section. It's not so much how the OP feels about it that concerns me. It's that that sort of sarcasm can alienate other newbies if they think those are the sorts of responses they are going to get to their questions. Bear in mind that a lot of newbies aren't really too confident about whether their questions are stupid or not. Personally I don't beleive there is any such thing as a stupid question if you are trying to learn something, but if they think there's a chance that their question is stupid, and that there's also a chance their going to get a bunch of sarcasm, then they won't ask. I know that when I was a newbie I was always a little nervous about asking questions for these reasons.

What I'm effectively saying is please could you take the sarcasm to the mic forum where we can all enjoy it? :p
I never visit the mic forum. It makes the Newbie forum look like a Mensa convention.

Also, the OP didn't ask a question, he had an "idea".....which was...um...how do I put this politely......How about....Stupid?

I wouldn't worry about his feelings. As witnessed by others that posted in this thread, he never comes back to the threads he starts anyway.

:)

Also, the OP didn't ask a question, he had an "idea".....which was...um...how do I put this politely......How about....Stupid?
I was willing to help him until he showed how ungrateful he is. Are you implying that I'm stupid?

Maybe. If you thought this was a good idea, then yes. You got a problem with that?

Did I think it's the idea of the year? No. Is it a Newbie forum full of people trying to learn? Yes. Should knowledgeable members hanging around it be there to, I don't know, help? Absolutely! So Yes... I got a problem with your statement if you're implying I'm stupid for trying to help someone in way that may have worked for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back