I want this synth sound!

captenfalco

Im new here so im not sure I'm posting this in the right place :/
Any way I was listenint to good music on youtube and heard a synth sound that i'd like to know how to achieve.
the sound is from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluNrXjP3zY and beginns at 01:07.

I'm pretty new with creating own synth sounds but I'm getting there. Althogh I somethimes have a hard time gettign the sound I want such as now. does anyone have Tips on how to learn to create the sounds one wants to achieve?

It sounds like a fairly simple standard 70s synth sound to me (and that band sounds like someone trying to sound like Steely Dan). You shouldn't have to create anything, it would come as a stock sound on most synth packages.

That said I can't tell you exactly what it's called as I'm not a synth guy.

What synth are you using? Whatever it is, I'd go to the relevant support forum and ask there....

There might be a synth area here further down the page here. You could also try there....

It sounded like a kind of fuzzy "synth brass" to me, but maybe with some tweaking of the ADSR envelope to make the sound decay after the initial attack but then swell again. Granted it's been a couple of hours since I listened to it and I didn't have the sound turned up, so I might need to give it another listen, but that's sort of how I'd describe it.

Yeah, these guys are from my neck of the woods. Never seen them, but I've got a bunch of mutual friends…I could try to find out what the patch is called if you're seriously interested. Dunno if they would actually tell me (they're friggin' grammy winners now), but hey it might work...

Alright, thanks everyone :)

embaresed to say my wallet can't efford me a real analog synth or anything like that so I'm just playing with different plug-in synths on my DAW which is alright since I'm still only learning stuff.

SeaGtGruff - Yeah I was wondering how to get the sound to swell like that again.

dudernut - haha that's cool. you don't really have to do that for me. it's not really that important I was just curious because I want to learn more about synthsounds and tought it was a nice sound. But hey, if you happend to ask anyway and actually get an answere let me know :D

Alright, thanks everyone :)

embaresed to say my wallet can't efford me a real analog synth or anything like that so I'm just playing with different plug-in synths on my DAW which is alright since I'm still only learning stuff.

SeaGtGruff - Yeah I was wondering how to get the sound to swell like that again.

dudernut - haha that's cool. you don't really have to do that for me. it's not really that important I was just curious because I want to learn more about synthsounds and tought it was a nice sound. But hey, if you happend to ask anyway and actually get an answere let me know :D

SeaStGruff has nailed what it is... and a bit of envelope editing should get it to do what you want. You'll lean a lot in the process, I expect...

It is a very 80s sound that can easily be found in FM synths -- such as DX7 and similars. You certainly will find it in FruityLoops FM8 VST. You can try some other FM synth VSTs (there are tons of free ones). There is also a good chance of find this sound on a Roland Juno family VST (6, 60, 106).

good luck!

:)

Back