I wanna surprise my singer-friend with some "starting singing home gear".. Any tips?

chaoshead

I wanna surprise my singer-friend with some "starting singing home gear".. Any tips?

So. I have a dear friend who's an artist, and very good when it comes to singing, but she doesn't have any studio setup at her place. Not even a mic... (her previous bf cheated on her and sold all her things and even her music). And since holidays are coming up, she's living by herself, and i will only manage to see her once before the holidays kick off, so i would like to bring with me a few things for her. Maybe a mic or so.

What kind of "starting" gear should she be getting first? You know, as an okay starting point to have at home? Price range for each item = $100~400, depending on what equipment it is, of course.

I know that she'd most definitely love to record her own music at her place, but i also understand that to do it even semi-pro will be costly. But yeah, just some things that will get her going towards the right direction would be great.

She does have good acoustics at her place, so the environment and the studio is solid and all, she just doesn't have any gear to go with it...

Like, which mic should she be getting? Kindly list some alternatives so i have more to choose from. Which audio interface? Anything else she'd need..?

I apologize that i am asking for a lot here, but i hope there are some souls who can help me with this matter so i can at least give her a nice end to 2020...

Honestly, any mic from a dynamic SM 57 to a condenser like the AT 2020 will be fine. You’re not going for pro sound here and you realize that. Does she play an instrument, too?

You’ll also need an interface, of course. Everyone recommends Focusrite but their failure rate is high. I recommend Behringer UMC202. Have yet to see one of them fail. A mic and interface are already costing you $200 right there. The next is to get a cable for the mic and a mic stand, and she should be good to go.

Honestly, any mic from a dynamic SM 57 to a condenser like the AT 2020 will be fine. You’re not going for pro sound here and you realize that. Does she play an instrument, too?

You’ll also need an interface, of course. Everyone recommends Focusrite but their failure rate is high. I recommend Behringer UMC202. Have yet to see one of them fail. A mic and interface are already costing you $200 right there. The next is to get a cable for the mic and a mic stand, and she should be good to go.

Focusrite failure is 'high'? Where did you get that idea?

To the OP:
All you mentioned is 'singing' - does she play any instruments? If not, is she going to be using backing tracks (i.e. karaoke style)?

Mic, mic stand, cables, audio interface, headphones, monitor speakers are the starting points.

A Shure SM58 mic is always a good starting point as it can be used for live use as well as recording.

One other possible path would be a portable recorder like the Tascam DR40X or Zoom H4n. To start with, they have internal mics, so at the very least you can do recording with no other equipment, then dump to a computer later. They also have XLR mic inputs, so you can use a good external mic if you want. Finally, you can use them as a basic audio interface hooked to a computer as well.

A new Tascam or Zoom would run under $200 to start with. You could throw in an AT 2020 or AKG P120 or P170 for $100 more. Find a mic stand for $25 and a mic cable for $15.

You could also look for a used Portastudio. Some of these can be found cheap, and you can do everything in the box. A DP24SD or Zoom R16 can often be found for about $250.

To the OP:
All you mentioned is 'singing' - does she play any instruments? If not, is she going to be using backing tracks (i.e. karaoke style)?

Mic, mic stand, cables, audio interface, headphones, monitor speakers are the starting points.

A Shure SM58 mic is always a good starting point as it can be used for live use as well as recording.

One other possible path would be a portable recorder like the Tascam DR40X or Zoom H4n. To start with, they have internal mics, so at the very least you can do recording with no other equipment, then dump to a computer later. They also have XLR mic inputs, so you can use a good external mic if you want. Finally, you can use them as a basic audio interface hooked to a computer as well.

A new Tascam or Zoom would run under $200 to start with. You could throw in an AT 2020 or AKG P120 or P170 for $100 more. Find a mic stand for $25 and a mic cable for $15.

You could also look for a used Portastudio. Some of these can be found cheap, and you can do everything in the box. A DP24SD or Zoom R16 can often be found for about $250.

Ok, i realize i should've been more informative on my OP, so i apologize for that.

So far, i have fixed her a Behringer UMC202 interface, Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones, mic stand, xlr cable and a PSA1 mic arm... Regarding a singing mic, which would be the steps after AT2020 and Shure SM58? Just so i have more options to choose from.

No, she does not play any instruments. She only sings, but she also uses backing tracks (yes, she goes karaoke style too).

I should also mention that we are both in Europe, so we don't have all the options that you have in U.S.

Anything else she'd need?

Thanks for the good inputs, fellas. :)

Ok, i realize i should've been more informative on my OP, so i apologize for that.

So far, i have fixed her a Behringer UMC202 interface, Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones, mic stand, xlr cable and a PSA1 mic arm... Regarding a singing mic, which would be the steps after AT2020 and Shure SM58? Just so i have more options to choose from.

No, she does not play any instruments. She only sings, but she also uses backing tracks (yes, she goes karaoke style too).

I should also mention that we are both in Europe, so we don't have all the options that you have in U.S.

Anything else she'd need?

Thanks for the good inputs, fellas. :)

She probably doesn’t need two mics if she doesn’t play an instrument. Unless she wants to record with someone else, too. Additionally the UMC202 was under the assumption she played a guitar or something too. You can probably save money by getting the UMC22 (yess without the 0). UNLESS she plans to have other singers singing along with her at some point.

To the OP:

High relative to other interfaces. It’s just my experience. People are always talking about them failing. Then again, that may be due to more people having the interface in the first place, giving more opportunities for bad apples.

In the same area as the SM58, I like the Senn 835. Both are good solid dynamic mics. I've use the 835 for live vocals for years, and did a few tracks with it to add to some live tracks. Sennheiser is currently having a special on the 935. I just picked one up last week. Under 100euros. For a "vocal" condenser, you have the Shure SM86.

If you are looking for LDCs, you have SE x1s and the SE2200. I like the Studio Projects B1 and B3. The Rode NT1 is a bigger step up to me. The Aston Origin has gotten positive comments, but I've never heard it personally. All of these are available from Thomann in the EU. Price range is 100 to 200 euros.

A dynamic will be more robust, a condenser usually has a brighter clearer top end.

Can't say anyone on here has had this problem with Focusrite? How odd.

I'd have a look on the Thomann site and see their packages. Decent firm, very well respected in Europe and their staff know their stuff.

I'd have a look on the Thomann site and see their packages. Decent firm, very well respected in Europe and their staff know their stuff.

Yeah, everyone at this discord I’m moderating wants to smash their Focusrite with a hammer. Lol

Again, it could be that since they’re the most popular interface, they have the greatest number of bad apples because of it.

She probably doesn’t need two mics if she doesn’t play an instrument. Unless she wants to record with someone else, too. Additionally the UMC202 was under the assumption she played a guitar or something too. You can probably save money by getting the UMC22 (yess without the 0). UNLESS she plans to have other singers singing along with her at some point.

Hmm, good point. I will check with her if she is planning to sing with someone or by herself... But my impression is that she'll be recording on her own for the most part...

In the same area as the SM58, I like the Senn 835. Both are good solid dynamic mics. I've use the 835 for live vocals for years, and did a few tracks with it to add to some live tracks. Sennheiser is currently having a special on the 935. I just picked one up last week. Under 100euros. For a "vocal" condenser, you have the Shure SM86.

If you are looking for LDCs, you have SE x1s and the SE2200. I like the Studio Projects B1 and B3. The Rode NT1 is a bigger step up to me. The Aston Origin has gotten positive comments, but I've never heard it personally. All of these are available from Thomann in the EU. Price range is 100 to 200 euros.

A dynamic will be more robust, a condenser usually has a brighter clearer top end.

I can get a good price on the SM58, so maybe that would be a good mic for her, no? I have Røde NT1 myself, but that vs SM58 when it comes to singing, hmm... What about NT1-A..? There's BF offer here at a really cheap price for it. :)

I will definitely check Thomann, yes. I have heard good things about them before.

I am in Europe too (despite what BoJo says!) and I am going to upset some of my US friends and say "don't get an SM57"

I doub that wee Behringer has enough gain and low enough noise for a dynamic (if your friend is a 'belter' like Lulu, forget I spake)
I had a UMC204HD and found the mic pres good for the price but still not quite good enough on a dynamic mic on speech.

I have recently bought my son a Mackie EM91C large diaphragm capacitor mic. It has had good reviews, said to be a little on the 'dark' side for a capacitor, no bad thing on a female voice? Son has sent me several recordings of Bach on classical guitar, he is very happy with the results and they sound good to me.

"F'rites" unreliable? I don't think so. The 2i2 has probably outsold almost all other AIs in its price range so yes, the numbers matter. I personally don't recommend the 2i2 because I think they are overpriced for the facilities. You cannot avoid the fact that the Behringers are incredibly good for the money but I would still urge people to aim a bit higher if they can.

Dave.

What about NT1-A..? There's BF offer here at a really cheap price for it. :)

Some people find the NT1A to be a bit too bright or hard. Others like the "air" that it gives. It really depends on her voice. Is it breathy or sibilant? It also might depend on how critical she will be with these recordings. You don't need a vintage U-47 for doing karaoke, right? People have recorded albums with SM58s on vocals.

As long as she can get sufficient gain with the SM58, it should work fine.

Sometimes you discover one size doesn’t fit all.in my band the band leader bought 4 beta 58s. We started wearing in ears with personal mixers, and I never liked me. I swapped mine for an SM86, I liked me better. The drummer tried another of my 86s and hated it, and went back. I’ve just bought some Neumann kms105mics. I bought one, really liked it, so ordered 3 more. I have guessed they’ll suit the drummer, because they seem quite smooth higher up which the Shures aren’t!

Yeah, everyone at this discord I’m moderating wants to smash their Focusrite with a hammer. Lol

Again, it could be that since they’re the most popular interface, they have the greatest number of bad apples because of it.

Not sure what a 'discord' is.... So I looked at Sweetwater reviews of the 2i2. Plenty of glowing ones, then a whole series of bad ones, but in almost every case I could read from the reviewer's words that they were experiencing computer-related issues, not interface. The same issues we often see (and troubleshoot) here. One guy complaining that he had to download Windows drivers, rather than 'plug and play' with a Mac (as an example).

Not sure what a 'discord' is.... So I looked at Sweetwater reviews of the 2i2. Plenty of glowing ones, then a whole series of bad ones, but in almost every case I could read from the reviewer's words that they were experiencing computer-related issues, not interface. The same issues we often see (and troubleshoot) here. One guy complaining that he had to download Windows drivers, rather than 'plug and play' with a Mac (as an example).

It’s like a chat room. I sometimes prefer it over a forum. And yeah, that’s a big reason I switched to Macs. Core Audio is great. I hope that never changes when they switch to ARM.

I am getting that Behringer UMC202. No questions asked. :)

With that, I might as well pick up that 835 and a pop filter, combined with her current speakers + M40x headphones, she's good to go. THERE. All set and done. :)

Isn't that a good set to go with, considering that she wants to sing and also sing while another one plays a guitar?

I am getting that Behringer UMC202. No questions asked. :)

With that, I might as well pick up that 835 and a pop filter, combined with her current speakers + M40x headphones, she's good to go. THERE. All set and done. :)

Isn't that a good set to go with, considering that she wants to sing and also sing while another one plays a guitar?

Yup, that'll do. What software does she record with?

Dave.

Back