I wanna surprise my singer-friend with some "starting singing home gear".. Any tips?

I am getting that Behringer UMC202. No questions asked. :)

With that, I might as well pick up that 835 and a pop filter, combined with her current speakers + M40x headphones, she's good to go. THERE. All set and done. :)

Isn't that a good set to go with, considering that she wants to sing and also sing while another one plays a guitar?

Did you get a mic stand? I suppose should could hold it in her hand, but then she’d have to hold the pop filter, too.

Reaper is a no-brainer and runs on both AFAIK. Free for as long as you can stand the guilt then about Eu50.

Dave.

Yeah, that’s why I don’t like recommending it as a free DAW. The guilt would get to me. If she has a Mac, GarageBand is free and way more than enough for what she’s doing.

Check to make sure that the e935 isn't actually cheaper right now than an 835. Sennheiser has been doing a bunch of special pricing this year. The e935 was one of the Nov items. Slightly better mic at the same or lower price.

Okay, we've come to an agreement on how we solve this...

What i need to know now are these 2 things:

1: She's found 2 mic's... Sennheiser E835 and AT2035.... what are the differences between those? She liked the AT2035, because she's been using that one before. E835 she didn't try yet. The AT2035 costs €10 more, so it's all good.

2: She's also found a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen, but how is that vs the Behringer UMC202..? She was told that an instrument can be hooked onto that as well as a mic...

So, any thoughts on those 2 points? :)

The mics are opposite ends of the spectrum

The AT2035 is a large diaphragm condenser mic. It will require phantom power which the interface can provide. Its likely not going to be good as a hand held mic. It should come with a shock mount to provide the needed isolation. Condenser mics tend to be very crisp and clear.

The e835 is a dynamic mic, and could be used as a hand held mic. It will have a mic clip to mount on a stand, but in a karaoke session, hand held is often the rule. These mics are right at home doing live vocals.

As for the interfaces, I would steer clear of the Solo. If she EVER wants to record with a friend, the Solo won't work. Only one mic preamp. The Behringer and Focusrite should give you essentially the same sound. If you are looking at the Focusrite brand, the 212 would be a comparable unit to the Berry UMC, with two mic/line/instr channels for both units. The Focusrite has some nice additional software, such as ProTools first, and a selection of plug-ins. These might or might not be of use to her.

Given the 4 choices, and planning just to use it at home, I would probably go with the AT2035 and with the Behringer. If there is any chance of going out and taking the microphone (like to a bar), I would go with the 835 or 935. Its going to be a bit more robust.

Late to the party and money's all spent ?

PreSonus ioStation-24c is USB-C, 2 inputs, free Studio One DAW software, transport controls galour and a motorized fader for $299.99 US.
ioStation 24c | PreSonus
Aston mics are all good and the CEO was a long time Director at sE Electronics who started his own company in the UK. Their $299 Stealth Dynamic Mic has 4 different voicings and it won a NAMM Tec Award among other accolades. Definitely one to consider.
Behringer vs Focusrite? Hands down Focusrite.
Behringer has made some great strides from their initial QC Nightmare gear lines, however....

Back