I need some basic Tascam DP-24 setup advice for recording a live performance!

cyber3d

I need some guidance in setting up the DP24.

I am controlling the audio of a live performance on my Tascam DP-24. I am also recording to the live performance to the SD card.

Performance went well, audio sounded great in the venue.

Is it possible to have my Track Faders control the levels on the recording as I adjust them for the live performance?

How I am set up now:
All mics are assigned to their tracks
All trims are set just below clipping for each mic
Output to house speakers are through the Monitor Out jacks on the back
Hit record and they start their performance.
I can control the individual mics with the Track Faders and overall adjustments between pieces with the Stereo Fader.

I assumed my recording would reflect the Track Fader adjustments I made on the fly. But, it did not.

Am I using the wrong equipment? Am I routing my sound through the wrong blocks? I must be making some rookie mistake. This machine is new to me.

The recording was usable. But, I had to do a lot of massaging on the computer.

Not my area but, I can see that if you have a mixer say with multitrack recording to USB but you are also using the mixer to deliver live sound you would NOT want the recorded signal to be affected by the 'FOH' feeds?

I am also a bit worried by your words "Adjusted mic (gain) trims to JUST below clipping". Why? Are you lacking signal level elsewhere in the monitoring chain?

I suspect you are recording at too hot a level and have buggerall headroom. Wrong equipment? Little bit but there are some top live sound guys here, give them time to absorb their caffeine and WheatyBangs!

Dave.

Not my area but, I can see that if you have a mixer say with multitrack recording to USB but you are also using the mixer to deliver live sound you would NOT want the recorded signal to be affected by the 'FOH' feeds?

I am also a bit worried by your words "Adjusted mic (gain) trims to JUST below clipping". Why? Are you lacking signal level elsewhere in the monitoring chain?

I suspect you are recording at too hot a level and have buggerall headroom. Wrong equipment? Little bit but there are some top live sound guys here, give them time to absorb their caffeine and WheatyBangs!

Dave.

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. headroom is good. using wireless sennheiser handhelds and had to set output to very high to get all the mics to match up. I've made one change by using the "stereo out" to send signal to the speaker system. This at least allowed me to add EQ/Effects to the various mic inputs so they are now all matched - at least out to the speakers. Now, I just have to figure out how I can get the EQ/Effects signal out onto the SD card.

This machine is new to me.

While others may help on your specific question, you may find the following YouTube tutorial series by Phil Tipping helpful in learning your unit: YouTube.

In the Tascam forum on our site, I've only found positive comments Phil Tipping's Tascam DP32SD tutorials, which translate to the DP24SD version. (I am just learning my DP24SD, so I regretfully cannot comment on your specific question.)

Welcome to your home recording forum--JeffF.

Last edited:
Back