I need guidance on hardware for a new studio

jiggypotamus

I hope this is the correct place for this thread, and if not, I apologize. My budget is between $1000 and $1100. I have been researching as best I could, and I am still left with a lot of doubt on which route to take. I will mainly be recording no more than two tracks simultaneously, but I wanted to keep my options open just in case I decide to undertake a larger project in the near future. Like most people, I would like to get the best sound quality possible, without concerning myself with ease of use, etc...The routes I have mainly been considering I will discuss further below in more detail, but they consist of either...A: Using a computer with a firewire interface, OR B: purchasing a multi-track recorder. I will also need at least a decent condenser mic, and a pair of monitors. I could very well be mistaken, but I think that should be about all. I have cables and whatnot.
Please advise me on some of my selections below, and I would really appreciate it if someone would tell me if I am going about this incorrectly. The most important thing to mention however is this: My current computer is a Pentium 4 with 1Gb of ram, and NO firewire ports. So I have also considered upgrading my computer, or purchasing a new one, which would eat into my budget rapidly. I did find some good options on tiger direct for under $300, and you don't have to include your computer opinions if you don't want to. Specifications on speed etc... should be enough for me to go on. I will also most likely be using Ubuntu, unless I do get a new computer that comes with windows, which all of the ones I looked at do. Either way is fine for me.

I have no clue about the sound quality of different firewire interfaces, and whether or not I will need to get an external preamp, which is the main reason I was leaning towards a multi-track unit. So basically I am looking for the best sound quality for the money. Here are some of the things I have been researching.

My first consideration Tascam NEO consists of a package including a Tascam 2488 NEO, a pair of PM0.4 monitors, and an Audio Technica AT2020 condenser mic.

From what I have read, I thought this may be the best deal for my needs...But again, I am not quite certain to be honest.

The other main option I was considering--spending around $300 to get my computer workable, or to get a new one, which will leave me between $700 and $800 to play with for an interface of some kind. I really liked this one...
Tascam FW-1082
which probably shows my inexperience and the appeal of flashy things. This is why I am asking experienced individuals. But of course you may have noticed that this would probably put me over my budget, considering this particular unit is $600. I know I could not piece together monitors and a condenser mic for under $200. I also know that the software would change dramatically from os to os, so that just adds more confusion for me.

I am really stuck on this one, and this is quite a lot of money for me, so I would like to get it right the first time, instead of noobing it up and ending up with crappy sounding recordings because my equipment wasn't correct. Any suggestions? I have decided to make my purchase tomorrow, so I will keep you guys updated on how it worked out for me if you are interested.

To sum it all up, I need opinions on whether a multi-track or computer interface would offer the best quality in my price range of $1000 - $1100, keeping in mind that I would have to upgrade at least my mobo to include firewire, most likely my ram, and my pentium 4 also. I would greatly appreciate ANY advice you could offer on this subject, and again I apologize if I have posted this incorrectly.

A studio with only 2 Tracks at once, i am alittle confused.

What are you planning on recording, just vocals, 1 vocal with one guitar, 2 tracks will do nothing for you for recording more then that unless you plan on just setting up 2 mic's and recording room sound.

We need a little more info, not on the gear your looking at, but what your plans are.

Soory, i don't mean to sound rude, but that question can go a lot of different ways.

Yo Jiggy! You have to make the call. If you are going to do a project requiring more tracks, then you need more tracks. If you do, then your choice, as you said, is to upgrade to a firewire interface with at least 8 tracks or a multitrack recorder. If you only need 2 tracks, then you can go in by USB, and I expect your Pentium IV is plenty. Almost any computer can do 2 tracks, even with plugins. If you go the firewire route, consider:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=43734&Category=Audio_Interfaces

For just 2 channels, by USB, a couple of favorites are:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=40819&Category=Audio_Interfaces

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodStuUX2

Lots of folks are down on multitrack recorders, but I like them for their portability. I've used a couple for years, and although I have upgraded quite a bit, I still use them for remote recording and small jobs. In your price range, I'd look at:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=27062&Category=Recorders

and

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=43249&Category=Recorders

Note that both of those units would require a mixer (a bunch of preamps) to get all those extra tracks, as there may be 8 inputs, but only 2 of them are for mics. I would say- on your stated budget, if you really need all those separate tracks- go the firewire route. You don't really have the budget to do a multitrack recorder that can do that, such as:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=44434&Category=Recorders

or

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=21800&Category=Recorders

As far as mics, without knowing what you intend to record, it is hard to give advice, but AT2020 probably wouldn't be at the top of my list. I would prefer AKG C2000B or AT4033 for a swiss-army mic.

So tell us more about what you intend to record, and where you intend to do it. You are unlikely to require those 8 tracks unless you acquire a bunch of mics. If you plan on recording drums, more tracks and more mics will become a necessity.-Richie

Last edited:
I will mainly be recording no more than two tracks simultaneously, but I wanted to keep my options open just in case I decide to undertake a larger project in the near future...

This is the part you need to make a decision with. It will determine if you have enough money in your budget to do what you want or not. And you leave it open ended by not specifying how many tracks you might require on your larger project in the near future. Money-wise, it will make a big difference.

Two channels is plenty if you're going to be doing the project studio and one-man band stuff. All my tunes are done with no more than 2 channels at a time. If you're going to be tracking a whole band at one time, you need more inputs.

You didn't mention room treatment which is the biggest bang for the buck to getting a quality mix. You need to be able to hear your mixes accurately to make them sound good.

I'll be the first to try to steer you away from multi-track recorders or studio-in-a-box type set-ups. I had one before and was frustrated by the difficulty in navigating the tiny screens, making edits, etc. A computer based DAW is much more powerful and more intuitive to learn; in my opinion. There are people who are quite successful using SIAB's, but I think most people are more productive with computer based daw's.

A Pentium 4 is adequate for most everything you want. 1 gig of ram is probably not enough. You might also consider a 2nd hard drive if you haven't already.

Mics, preamps, converters, monitors, etc are all subject to hot debates. Decide what you want to do, then read read read!!! Learn all your options. Browse this website, do searches. Everything you're looking to do has been discussed in great detail already. Only you can decide what is best for you.

Welcome to the site.

its my personal opinion that you should go with the computer based DAW (digital audio workstation) setup as not only can you record and mix just like you would on a multi tracker but you can listen to music, play games, chat with friends and even come to sites like these if your ever working on a project and need help or an opinion or two. not to mention its (again in my opinion) a billion times easier to work with.

as for your computer specs you should be just fine with what you already have. im running a PC with windows xp sp3 installed and it works just fine. i can and have ran many different DAW software platforms on mine such as sonar, cubase, and fl studio. you can also try audacity which is free. i personally use acoustica mixcraft because of its simplicity and visual design, and with any of the software platforms i have mentioned i can run as many VST's as i need or want and i ran run many VSTi's too.

as for an audio interface, what ever you may choose i definitely recommend you buy at least a 24 bit/96khz as you can really notice a difference in sound between 16 bit interfaces and 24 bit interfaces. and if your planning on going the firewire route i suggest you take a look at this (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133) it has six ins and ten outs so that way if you ever decide you need to record more than two tracks at once you wont be limited to just those two tracks. this particular also supports MIDI so keep that in mind too.

as for monitors i recommend behringer TRUTH monitors or KRK Rokits

in the microphone category i have to of course recommend a shure sm57 which is a great instrument and vocal mic. you could pretty much use it for anything. and its the industry standard in dynamic mics. as for a condenser mic i recomend a studio projects B1 (large condenser mic).

i hope ive been at least a little bit of help....

You can download full working versions of most DAWs just now if you want to try them out...Record (not sure if this is still on beta) and Ableton are two Id recommend for someone starting out due to their excellent intuitive workflow...

A free software DAW option Id considered is energyXT2.5 that comes with Computer Music...in fact they've given out copies of SamplitudeSE recently as well...Not only do you get the basis for audio or midi recording their discs also come with dozens of effects and paired down versions of great softsynths such as Zebra and Alpha..you also get pretty decent tutorials to get you up to speed..

There are plenty of books out there as well...Guerilla Home Recording is a good place to start as an overview

Good luck whatever you choose :)

Many interfaces come with lite versions of good programs...Id go with at least 8 channels in since you will be growing and needs grow with you.

I got Abelton live with my Line6 UX8...and it was on special for $350...but you need a computer that has teeth to handle it...I have bought computers with 3ghz Pent4 and 2gb ram for $150 at a computer store that sells used buisness stuff....they will do fine.

Avoid the AT2020 and buy a used AT3035 for under $100...Ive seen AT4033 mics go for arround $150 ...the 20 series isnt very good.

Many interfaces come with lite versions of good programs...Id go with at least 8 channels in since you will be growing and needs grow with you.

I got Abelton live with my Line6 UX8...and it was on special for $350...but you need a computer that has teeth to handle it...I have bought computers with 3ghz Pent4 and 2gb ram for $150 at a computer store that sells used buisness stuff....they will do fine.

Avoid the AT2020 and buy a used AT3035 for under $100...Ive seen AT4033 mics go for arround $150 ...the 20 series isnt very good.

Yup my Abelton is a Lite version I had come with an Axiom..brilliant DAW that I would have totally overlooked otherwise..

I ran that on a P4 at first 3Ghz with 3gRam but the tracks do need a bit of flattening/bouncing when softsynths start being recorded..fine to learn on or up until much more complicated tracks..

Other than a set of budget monitors and a small mixer (which imo should be new) Id get scouring your local craigslist Jiggy, in the last few months Ive had some excellent bargains

PCR300 $70
MPD24 $75
Pod 2.0 $60

Its a buyers market (unfortunately for many) so do a bit of retail research first...but more importantly read, the more you do in the beginning the quicker you'll be recording

Back