I know nothing about software drums and...

DogFood

you need to "learn" me all about'm. I haven't had any luck with breathing drummers so it seems I should go with software. There are other benefits I'm desperately in need of like setting my compositions in concrete. Also, I'm not very interested in drum machines as I can get my hands on one but the sounds are to "dance beat oriented". The genre of my direction is "rock, other" such as Jesus Lizard or Shellac. Let the learn'n commence.

check out this program called Jamstix. i haven't used it myself but i'm considering giving it a shot. i have Drumkit From Hell Superior already, and Jamstix is supposed to work really well with it. from watching the demo vids and stuff, it seems like a pretty cool program and seems to be similar to what you're looking for.

oh and here's a link: http://www.rayzoon.com/

I think you'd find Jamstix a little 'plain vanilla' for your edgy taste.

It doesn't have a 'Todd Trainer' setting, and that's a shame.

My recommendation if something like leafDrums which is a small but well specified software drum machine that lets you construct your beats, patterns and songs with appropriately aggressive .WAV files, then when your beat is perfected saves it back to a finished .WAV file again. It's $30 shareware and has a demo period in which you can make sure it runs well on your machine and, more importantly, is what you're looking for.

That means that you'd need to learn something about programming drums, but once you have those skills they never leave you.

well i think Drumkit From Hell Superior will give you more realistic sound than using leafdrums. but then you'd definitely pay for the difference and then some. but since it's midi based you can control velocity and such, and it has tens of thousands of drum samples at all velocities which make it sound damn near real. just gotta take the time to program every hit and set the velocities as you'd want your drummer to play it.

leafdrums looks pretty neat though, and a bit easier to use. probably worth a real good look at that price. :D

zed32 said:
Drumkit From Hell Superior will give you more realistic sound than using leafdrums
You can use any samples you want in leafDrums, and if you've been misled by the name 'DKFH' you haven't looked around the web to see what's out there. leafDrums has no sounds built in, unlike DKFH --- you have to find your own and therefore are not stuck with something that will be a compromise.

The only thing DKFH and Jamstix offer is convenience. If you're willing to put some work into it you can get better results for less investment and learn about sampling, processing and programming on the way.

i'm not saying that whatever samples you use with leafDrums are gonna sound fake in comparison, but i think with DFHS you get a wider range of samples at different velocities, and with midi you get the convenience of simply adjusting the velocity slider instead of loading a whole other sample if you want a softer sounding hi hat or snare hit or something like that. but honestly i can't speak for leafDrums at all since i have no experience with it. i'm sure it's a great program, and sounds very flexible.

so with leafDrums you can probably just buy a drum sample disc from Beta Monkey Music or something like that and have some very nice sounding drums. but since it's wav based, i don't think you get the hit variation that you get with DFHS since it cycles through several different snare hits.

but then again i could be completely wrong about this. :o

but for the price difference i'd say leafDrums with a good set of samples should suit you just fine.

Thanks all, I've just downloaded leafDrums. I need a place to start. I may wind up exploring all avenues. However, all journeys begin with a single step. And, leafDrums shall be mine.

edit2: I just downloaded natural studio's free drum wav groupo. The sounds are killer. Not a Neil Peart sized kit but it will do nicely...for now :D

Last edited:
I downloaded Leafdrums DK-7free after reading this thread. Cool program. Its easy to use and will serve my needs. My problem is the .WAV I get from it does not play at exactly the same speed when I import it. How do I fix that?

I'm a total noob.

I'm using a firepod into Cubase LE.

Milnoque said:
I downloaded Leafdrums DK-7free after reading this thread. Cool program. Its easy to use and will serve my needs. My problem is the .WAV I get from it does not play at exactly the same speed when I import it. How do I fix that?.
First, I can't find Leafdrums DK-7free anywhere. Where did you find it?

Is it possible to adjust the tempo of your song slightly?

Have you tried the shareware version? It won't do fractional tempos either, but might be more accurate than the freeware version.

I knew about the NS7 kit --- dunno why that didn't occur to me...

Cubase should be the one you are doing your adjustments on - it certainly will do fractional tempos, and you would only need to adjust it once per song --- if Cubase LE and Leaf Drums have a slightly different idea of what constitutes 120 beats per minute each one is almost certainly consistent within it's own frame.

In other words, use the flexibility of the Cubase tempo setting to compensate for the inflexibility of Leaf Drums, not the other way around.

Where do I adjust the tempo in Cubase. Changing it in the transport window doesn't seem to make a difference.

You're talking to a real newbie

In most audio/midi sequencers you either double click or right-click on the tempo and enter a new value.

You'll need to refer to your Cubase manual if that doesn't work.

since everyone is talking about midi drums I have a question. Is anybody using DKFH supperior with Pro Tools LE? If you are Id like to talk to yous and maybe I can figure mine out.
Is anyone using PTLE 6.9 with it? Does it work better with 7.??
If so , how the hell does it work?
ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated.
I tried the PC drummer it was a little plain for me. I couldnt adjust things as much as I would like to.
Thanks everyone
Please be patient I really am new at this not just stupid! LOL :rolleyes:

Back