I got some music in my collection thats poorly made. Is this a good idea of fixin it?

guyvelella

All of it is punk and metal made by bands that dont exist anymore. The only thing wrong is the bass. Everything else sounds great except I cant hear any bass. I thought maybe if I simply bass boost the songs using audacity, it would improve. It didnt. All that did was make every sound vibrate more when I only wanted the guitars to be affected.

What if I tried using a software like FL Studio and maybe add a synthesized bass to the mix and have it match the guitar riffs? I dont have any separate vocals or instrumentals for the songs, just the already made mix. Would a method like this be a good idea of improving it?

If so, is there a software that could find where each guitar note is so I could blend some bass with it?

Unless this is the most phenomenal punk music ever recorded, the time/effort involved will likely exceed its value. There's a lot of manual work that would need to be done, there's no good shortcuts.

If the originals were from tape, there's a chance the pitch might be off so matching that potentially adds yet another layer of complexity to the process of adding overdubbed synth bass.

I agree with Pinky. If for instance you had a crap recording of an unknown Macca song THAT would be worth the bother!

Still, "Judge not".....! You can download lots of trials of software. I suggest you start with Samplitude Pro X and also Sony Soundforge. Both pretty intuitive to use and have some powerful FX in them.

Dave.

What is the purpose? Purely for you to listen to? If so, and there is no bass, why not record a new bass track and add it in if the omission spoils it for you?

The band I mix for plays mainly 60s material and some of the very popular music at that time seems to have a bass guitar recorded with dead strings in the room next door with no microphone. Trying to hear bass lines in much of that material is fruitless - it simply isn't there.

Back