I cant use my mic

RandomGuy

I bought a small 10 dollar mic from amazon to use when i record videos on my phone but it doesnt seem to work. The part you plug into the phone has 1 line if that is any help.

Sounds like you got a mic with a standard mono plug. I’d say any phone made this decade idnit has a 1/8” jack is designed for a combo headset type plug. That mic won’t work.

What isn't working. Is it plugging in? Is it plugged in but no sound? What mic, which phone, and what exactly is the issue

To try and clarify, since it seems nobody got what I posted... The JACK is almost certainly expecting a TRRS plug, i.e., for 2 stereo output (earbuds) + 1 input (mic), as is common on the headsets that come with your basic smartphone these days. At least I've got a pile of them from 3 or 4 generations of iPhones.

You could get a splitter and just plug the mic into the mic jack.

US 3.5mm Headset Adapter Y Splitter Jack Cable Adapter TRRS to 2 TRS Laptops PC 6916754892805 | eBay

P.S. (Edit) But, as [MENTION=178786]rob aylestone[/MENTION] replied in the duplicate post, it's likely the built-in mic is at least as good as a $10 external one. The only reason to use an external would be to allow positioning it much closer to the source, IMO.

Back