I am a total newbie...

Celeste

Ok, first off, please do not laugh...I am totally boneheaded when it comes to this stuff.
I have an hp pavilion xe5240 laptop with Windows XP.
I only have a headphone and mic jack.
I want to record my old vinyl records to my pc and make mp3's.
I was told by hp that I need to get G-ware and change my mic to an input jack (which I downloaded, but have no idea what to do)
I was also told that I have to get a specific jack to go from my house stereo amplifier to my mic jack.
I was also told to download LAME for so that I can make MP's.
I also downloaded audacity.
I am SO CONFUSED.
Like I said, I am a total newbie, but refuse to buy these records all over again when I have them collecting dust.
(Unless I play them on my turntable. LOL!)

I also use MP3 CD converter when I rip my CD's.
I have Winamp, WMP, and unfortunately, I don't know what other information you may need to help me.

I'm sorry for being such a putz, but I can't find any help anywhere and I am so lost!!!
Thanks so much!!!

I think this link will help you with setting up the mic input to line level.

http://www.gentner.com/tech_support...g=/tech_support/product_support.php?prodid=16

Once you do that purchase the cable they told you that you need and hook up the stereo to the mic input. From there just run your recording software while you play your vinyl and most likely it will save it in a .wav format. From there just convert it to your mp3 using Lame or any mp3 converter software. G/L and welcome to the BBS.

I used my Behringer Mixer ($50) as a pre-amp and went from the record player>Pre-amp>CD Recorder. I used 2 of the channels and panned them hard right and left and set the gain till it was just about hitting red. I used a stand alone TDK CD-R/RW recoreder. Everything came out just fine.

I want to thank you for answering me back so quickly!! You guys are great. The only thing is, I am totally lost. Like I said, I am TOTALLY new to this stuff. My line of expertise is in graphics, so this is a whole new animal to me. I love that you guys helped me out, but I am still so confused on what I am doing. I hope it will become clearer after I get the adapter. I will cross my fingers.

Thanks so much again. I appreciate it more than you know!!!

Hi Celeste! I share your pain, 'cause I'm a noob as well.

Based on what you've laid out and the help you've gotten already, what you are attempting is definitely do-able. When I'm confused about a process (which, unfortunately, is too often), it helps me to write down the steps in detail. For example, you need to:

1. Change your microphone level input jack on the HP to a line level. Based on what you said, you need to install the G-ware software you downloaded to do this. (Just FYI, in case you don't know, the level of the signal coming from your home amplifier when you play the vinyl will be a higher level than that of a mic, so that's why you need to re-configure that mic in jack.)

2. Your turntable will be going to the phono jacks of your amp as normal. You will then need to get the signal from the amp to your laptop. That sounds like where the adapter comes in, since the laptop mic in jack is probably a .5 mm mini-plug.. You should have some kind of output jacks on your amp - aux out, tape out, etc. These will most likely be stereo pairs (left and right) of RCA-type jacks. You will plug the end of the adapter which has RCA plugs into the amp and the other end, which should have a mini-plug, into the laptop mic in.

3. Once everything in terms of ins and outs is set, you can launch your recording software and play the records. Make sure you set the amp to the output type you need - e.g., if you plugged the cable into the AUX OUT jacks, then the amp needs to send the signal to that output.

4. Everything from there on in is software, and I'm afraid I'm too much of a noob to help a lot there.

FWIY, I have a large record collection, because I am old. I chose to buy a dedicated audio CD recorder rather than go this route, and it has worked well for me (although, I do need to buy CD-R's specifically for digital audiom, which are a bit more expensive). Much less hassle, at least from my perspective.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Back