I am one of those who paid for the Academy.FM portal - now they removed the comment s

TRmusic

So I know what most people here think about Cymatics and their Academy.FM portal. I paid like $400CADfor that project thinking "Great, I will be able to focus ONLY on Music Production tutorials and not get distracted by other videos on YouTube and be a part of a decent community".

They scrapped the project like a year later and there was barely any interaction from the community and the videos are mostly sub-par, recorded unprofessionally or missing some valuable technical depth. Tough to believe they would call such tutorials "Masterclasses" YET I still managed to find some use to them but I am saying that for the price, they should have been MUCH better.

Look at Masterclass.Com. You get a lot more for less (though it's an annual subscription) but the level of quality is amazing as industry professionals are delivering the content.

I decided to get my money's worth and started the Ableton Masterclass and left a comment last night. This morning, the comment section is gone. I don't understand why they are so sneaky and how anyone still trusts them and their sleazy marketing strategies. All those web pages with timers ticking down saying you will miss out on a great opportunity yadda-yadda...

Again, the content is there... You can learn from it. Point is. I paid that crazy amount of money in order to have a continued upload process of more masterclasses and content and be a part of a large community and get their support. So they removed a lot of what they promised but never refunded us.

Yes they sent us a $200 gift card to their store (which since then was stripped off a lot of what was on there and now there's barely anything you can get) let alone a lot of this stuff ends up being given to you for free through them if you follow the right trail of links or for cheaper than what it is originally sold for. So what is the value of this $200 gift card?

Furthermore, on their Masterclass the instructor Noah (Haterade) is using one of their sample packs and sound banks I never got from them. How can you tell me to follow this masterclass if I don't have the same sounds? My result will be completely different and I wouldn't know if I adjusted the parameters correctly as I can't compare the sounds before and after.

I know this is kind of old news but I decided to go back to their portal and make the best of it since you can still learn something on there and it was just needed to be said when I noticed what they did.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with AcademyFM. I have never looked at their site, but it sounds like type of stuff that you can get from lots of free sources, like Produce Like A Pro, Recording Revolution and other Youtube sites. Maybe it depends on your level of experience/expertise but spending time here on HR, the Sound On Sound and Gearslutz forums can really teach you a lot.

In any case, welcome to Home Recording. I hope you find the information you need to make great recordings.

Let me add, and for free, there are lots of guys here who can get you a very good fundamental base of knowledge. And we are interactive. Post in "your best guess" thread and we will move you forward.

There are so many knowledgeable people here, I think you can get 80-90% where you need to be at the least. Maybe once you get to the pro level, there might be better places. But for starting out to mid-high level, this is as good place as any.

Plus we are talking home recording level, almost everyone here knows how to make the best of a bad situation.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with AcademyFM. I have never looked at their site, but it sounds like type of stuff that you can get from lots of free sources, like Produce Like A Pro, Recording Revolution and other Youtube sites. Maybe it depends on your level of experience/expertise but spending time here on HR, the Sound On Sound and Gearslutz forums can really teach you a lot.

In any case, welcome to Home Recording. I hope you find the information you need to make great recordings.

Let me add, and for free, there are lots of guys here who can get you a very good fundamental base of knowledge. And we are interactive. Post in "your best guess" thread and we will move you forward.

There are so many knowledgeable people here, I think you can get 80-90% where you need to be at the least. Maybe once you get to the pro level, there might be better places. But for starting out to mid-high level, this is as good place as any.

Plus we are talking home recording level, almost everyone here knows how to make the best of a bad situation.

Thank you very much for the support. I really truly feel that this community is one I will enjoy to be a part of. If I would explain my level of Music Production... I would say I am an experienced beginner lol. I learned some stuff here and there, got scattered knowledge but not much experience and no finished tracks.

The stuff I got from Academy FM is not useless but could have been acquired cheaper or for free. The upside is that it is all in one spot and I didn't have to put it all together so I will make the best of it and finish all the main courses at least. I learned a very important lesson for the future. I learned that a while ago but I guess I am speaking about it now.

In any case, thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and support me. I will definitely do what I can to help the community and learn from all of you.

As others already said - you can gain more knowledge here and by using free sites out there (lots of free stuff on YT) - if in doubt about content in a YT video, ask here.
The best way to learn is TO DO. Record, mix, post here in the MP3 Clinic, listen to others' mixes, read comments from others and participate yourself

Back