How to use Reference Tracks?

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
What is the best way to use a reference track?

Import it into your session on a stereo track and mix it to about the same volume. Then compare and listen? What other ways or what is a common way. I know "best way" isn't a good way to put it but can someone help me get the ball rolling? :)

Thanks! Eric

IMO/E, "reference tracks" are for the birds. You can chase a mix for hours and hours and get nothing but irritated (along with an irritating mix) when you try to take a mix somewhere it doesn't want to (or doesn't have the potential to) go.

Reference tracks are wonderful for learning to listen. They're great for getting a handle on an otherwise unfamiliar playback system or to quickly analyze a space.

But when you're mixing, do what THAT mix tells you to do. Don't flip around consulting another mix.

*Tracking* to some extent -- If you're a Metallica tribute band and you want to write an album in Metallicese, then referencing the *CORE* sounds isn't the worst thing you can do. But not during the mix... The mix should "be there" before you start mixing it. If it's not pretty close right off the bat, you need to figure out what didn't go right in the previous step.

IMO/E, "reference tracks" are for the birds. You can chase a mix for hours and hours and get nothing but irritated (along with an irritating mix) when you try to take a mix somewhere it doesn't want to (or doesn't have the potential to) go.

I hear ya. I guess I'm just looking for shortcuts.:o

I totally agree with you about where the mix doesnt want to go though. I've run into that a lot lately. If it wasn't tracked the way it should have been, then it's not going anywhere fast in way of sonic excellence.

Thanks for the quick response massive.

Back