How to use an analogue mixer to DAW multitrack recording, mixing and monitoring

Whoo-hoo! Now I have the manual before me I can see that this mixer is the Dog's Danglers!

Yes it has mic/line switching so the AI outs can return to those. Yes, bass cut on each input(clean, clean!) plus phase swop.

In addition there are TAPE return inputs so (I assume) a stereo mix from the DAW can be easily fed to monitors.

The manual stands some serious reading but the mixer is truly designed for recording, there is even a section about doing over dubs! OP? You are going to need a LOT of TRS cables!

Dave.

When I used my console, I had 8 inputs to my interface, I kept 8 channels reserved for my drums so I could leave the EQ settings alone, I also did the same for vocals bass and guitar, I routed the 8 sub groups to my interface and just re-assigned the channels as I needed. I used the "B" mix on each channel for my headphone mix. it worked pretty good. the main thing I missed when I quit using the console was the built in talkback channel, I have since added 8 more inputs so I now have a dedicated talkback channel again. and it does look cool with the console!:D

Confirming that the LX7 is an either/or for Mic and Line inputs.

However, I can fully understand why the OP would want to use his mixer (and direct outs) for tracking. The LX7 Mic Pre Amps are very nice sounding--as good or better than most interfaces--and the Pre Fade Auxes allow you to set up really good monitor mixes. I also personally prefer setting levels on a fader than a small knob on an interface if I'm doing an elaborate record. One thing to remember is that there's a switch to make the Direct Outs Pre or Post Fader. I'd normally use post fader unless it's a recording of a live gig where you need a House mix as well as recording tracks.

The return is a bit more problematic. Speaking personally, once the tracks are in a computer, I'd leave them there and mix "in the box". What I would do though is bring a stereo channel out from the DAW to a spare mixer channel to allow latency free monitoring via the Aux buses.

Indeed, that's exactly how I worked for a number of years using a close relative of the LX7.

The LX7 does have an internal power supply, different from a lot of their "Live" series which had external boxes. However, I know of several theatres in the UK that used LX7s for many years without problems. Frankly the record was better than my Spirit Live 4 with the external box--I spent more time than I like to admit soldering new electrolytics onto the rather fiddly board in the PS. It's a good thing I liked the mixer or I wouldn't have bothered!

The LX7 does have an internal power supply, different from a lot of their "Live" series which had external boxes. However, I know of several theatres in the UK that used LX7s for many years without problems. Frankly the record was better than my Spirit Live 4 with the external box--I spent more time than I like to admit soldering new electrolytics onto the rather fiddly board in the PS. It's a good thing I liked the mixer or I wouldn't have bothered!

Ah! It WAS the Spririt range Bob! I KNEW it was something spooky!
Yes, I have seen pics of that PSU, bloody poor design (not by Scft apparently) I commented at the time I saw it that I would, 1) at least fit 105C caps, or2) fit a heatshield to protect the caps, or 3) put the whole PSU in an external box, or 4! Build a new 50Hz external supply...But who has the time?

Dave.

Back