How to start?

zedolire

Ok, so me and a couple of my friends decided to make a band some time ago and we are actually doing pretty good. We have a guitarist(me), a singer, a drummer and a bass player. We would really like to record some of the stuff we play but none of us has got an idea how to. Here is a full list of our equipment:
-a guitar
-a bass guitar
-a drum kit
-guitar amp+cables
-bass amp+cables.
I would like to get something like a list of stuff I need and maybe how to put it all together and what these things are for.

Cheers

Start reading the stickies around here. As important to "what" you have to have is "where" do you plan to do this?

the stickies are gonna answer your questions.
May take a bit of time to go thru em but it'll save you from buying useless crap.

Keep in mind that if you're lookin for a shortcut....these ARE the shortcuts.

Set a budget first, read all the stickies. Money to burn, hire someone (like anyone here) to set it all up for you.

Hi Red,

There are two basic ways to record a "rock" band (well, 3 if you want mono!).

A stereo pair of directional microphones some distance from the ensemble, or...

A multiple mic, multiple TRACK setup and a multi-track recording device.

The first method is of course vastly cheaper but, if the musicians are well rehearsed and can sort out a good "internal balance" capable of excellent results. Downside is you get very much a snapshot and cannot balance or alter very much post tracking.

Multi-tracking requires a lot of kit and an 8 channel recorder would be a minimum I would think. You would really need 4 mics min' on the drumkit. Then MT setup time can be very protracted (especially for a noob) and unless you can leave the setup rigged for days at a time I would not consider it. Even with the MOST disciplined musicians you will struggle to get a recording V pissabout time ratio better than 1 to 3!

So, IMHO look for a s/hand interface. Steinberg UR22, Tascam 144, Focusrite 2i4 or better.
A pair* of Small Diaphragm Capacitor microphones. Mic stand and stereo bar, cables to suit and have a shot. Get everyone in the band to bring as many duvet/blankets as they can sneak past Mum/'er indoors. Don't know your country o.o but if you know what a "clothes horse" is, B,B, or Steal some of those. (to surround the drummer!).

*Same make/model, don't need "matched pair" 's only R&R!

Oh yes! Google "Co-Incident stereo recording" (do you have a vocals PA?)

Dave.

In a normal room with wooden floor and walls filled with chairs, a table and a couch.

What's the ultimate goal for the recordings? Are these demos for playing out? If you're thinking about distributing the music online, you should be aware that there are literally millions of other bands just like yours flooding sites like Soundcloud, Reverbnation, and Bandcamp with (typically) mediocre music and even less enjoyable mixes.

Getting into the home recording thing is fun but it takes some monetary investment and A LOT of time. You will make a lot of mistakes and you will encounter hours of frustrations. This would be on top of whatever time is already spent practicing with the band.

OR - for the relatively small bit of money it takes, when you have a set of songs and you're ready to record them, just find a small local studio (or someone willing to bring recording equipment to you) and bang out the already well rehearsed songs in a couple hours. You could get a couple studio sessions for the amount of money it will cost to get even a basic recording setup accomplished, and it will (hopefully for the sake of the studio's reputation) sound better than anything you will accomplish yourself.

Most bands don't survive long enough to get more than one or two albums done anyway.

Also, if you are planning on playing out you might get lucky and be able to get a quality live recording from the mixing board if the venue has a decent sound setup. This would suffice if all you want is a demo or keepsake.

Just food for thought.

+1 to Pinky,
If you enjoy a technical challenge and the "process" of home recording, yes, do it.
But as Mr P says, for about the same outlay and a LOT less hassle, find a studio!

Dave.

Here would be my get started list:

Recording for Dummies book, the Internet is nice and a LOT of great information on this board, but it can be overwhelming.

I think Pinky makes a lot of sense, probably one person will take on the effort, bit sort out who buys what and someone will have to take the lead. Probably you, but make sure it is known upfront.

My list of decent equipment:
-Nice little laptop for your DAW if you are going to mix and not use much effects (main ones are Compression, EQ and Reverb).
-DAW - I usually recommend Reaper, but find one you like
-Interface - To record a band, I suggest something like a Tascam 1800, probably can't find one, so look for the US 16X08. It doesn't have to be that one, but it is pretty straight forward and gives a lot of flexibility.
-Mics 4 for the drums (Dynamic for the Kick and snare, 2 condensers for the cymbals and the rest of the kit.
-Dynamic mics for the amps X3 (these can be condensers, but they don't have to be)
-Mics for vocals

Now, that is the easy part, next you are going to have to figure out how to monitor. The main issue there will be vocals. If you are using a PA, then you will need to figure out how to get the vocals through the PA and the interface. If the PA as channel outs, then you can run cables from the mixer to the inputs of the interface. Monitor live. If not, then you will need some sort of head phone amp and headphones to monitor.

That will get you started. But I can tell you right now, and to everyone's point, my list will only create more questions. But I thought I would at least give you a good start, then it will answer why no one else has, because I really didn't help you as much as the others did, except for the book suggestion. :)

Back