How to setup a headphone mix for vocals

Samuel497

Hi

My name is Sammy I'm considering myself a newbie as I have tinkered with recording over the years and was using lots of different audio interfaces spending silly money that clearly wasn't needed for what I was trying to do, years later I'm back trying again but this time hoping to get some advice from great places like this.

My current setup is focusrite forte, se electronics reflection filter, sex1 mic and Samson monitors. I did have an apogee duet 2 but had to sell it. I am planning to use reaper as my daw. I do have protools 9 which but I wiped my computer and have no longer got the disc or access to the email account were my avid details are but I do still have the ilok.

What I would like to know to begin with is two things, firstly how to setup a headphone mix so that the singer can hear a good level of volume and reverb but doesn't effect the recorded track.

Secondly

What level should I be recording vocals, I've seen a lot of posts that say -6db but not really sure, many years ago if it sounded good I didn't care but I'm hoping to learn how to do this more properly this time and hoping I can mix a a few tracks without clipping or distortion etc.

I will essentially be recording singers with a backing track and I want it to sound professional and impressive which is no easy task.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Headphone mix via aux send(s) to heaphone amp.

Levels -- If there were a quick "rule of thumb" (which there really isn't), I never have anything peak above -10dBFS on the way in.

Sorry to sound dumb lol but I've never really did this before could you explain in easy terms please thanks in advance.

He's suggesting a different bus as an output that is dedicated for the headphones. I assume this is for better control of levels, and where you can add reverb and such to the vocalists liking.

Typically I don't go that far and just have the vocals mixed rather loudly in the headphones since most singers like to hear themselves. You may also consider panning the music to one ear and their live vocal track to the other. It's really vocalist preference.

The F'rite Forte was the companie's attempt to jump on the Babyface wagon. I don't think it took off? I thought it had been quietly dropped but it seems W10 drivers are available so it probably is still supported?

It wasn't cheap so I guess there is some form of mix/monitoring control for it? Will be a weekends work to sus it out!

Dave.

Back