how to record orchestra with 2-3 mics in stereo, simultaneously?

alex m

Hello-
I'm actually a videographer, but a recent job has got me scrambling for audio info. The audio i use is pretty simple, a shotgun directly to the camera, and a good ole' Sm57 run through a very simple Midi to USB interface, into garageband on a Powermac, for voiceovers and narration mainly.
Now, the job I have is to record about a thirty person orchestra, and then put the music onto the video later. It is important that the audio sounds decent and is in stereo. I have done some research and found that recording each seperate person individually is out of the question(especially with thirty people), and recording the entire orchestra simultaneously is much more practical. There is something called a "deca tree" mic formation, which is, as far as i can tell...two paired microphones spaced equally one quarter from the center of the soundstage, and a third mic on the centerline, pushed up a few feet, to cover any "sound holes". From what i've read, this configuration, although cumbersome and time consuming to setup, yields amazing results with a fantasticly realistic "stereo dimension". I think I can get away with getting something like the AKG c1000 stereo pair as i minimum, and then maybe use the Sm57 for the center Mic if needed.
It actually sounds rather simple, at it's roots, but my question is, how can i record 2 or 3 different tracks simultaneously. That is, each Mic to it's own track so i can manipulate the sound afterwards, and most importantly, keep the stereo image?
Can i just buy a more professional USB interface, one with two XLR inputs and a third one through a line-matching transformer, and run it into Garageband? Or do I need something completely different?
(-We will be recording in a church with high cielings when there are no people present)

thanks for any help
-alex

Am I reading this right and you want to record to your PC? You will need an audio interface like M-Audio, or something along those lines. They make them with anywhere from 2 to 10 inputs. Search on Google or any search engine for M-Audio, or audio interface and you should find what you are looking for. Or, if you have a mixer, connect it to your soundcard line in, and you may be able to get what you are looking for.

If you have a small mixer, the Decca tree is how I'd do it. You could pan the outside mics left and right and the center mic, well, centered. Then just send the stereo output of the mixer to your sound card.

The Decca tree is a very common way to record orchestra and for very good reason.

If the audio really matters find a way to rent some decent mics. That will be more important than any other peice of gear you could buy.

Ronan said:
The Decca tree is a very common way to record orchestra and for very good reason.

If the audio really matters find a way to rent some decent mics. That will be more important than any other peice of gear you could buy.
I agree. Some good condensor mics and a really good pre amp will take you a long way. We recorded our church choir using one good shotgun mic. It sounded great, but we were all novices at recording, and I wish this board would have been around then. I think our recording would have sounded better with a Decca Tree....

Back