Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How to record my guitar playing to cassette given that I like the sound from my amp?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The guitar has a one pickup and one volume knob. No tone knobs, no tremelo. If I ever get a custom guitar I wouldn't even have a volume knob

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tHmEstanCisEntI View Post
    The guitar has a one pickup and one volume knob. No tone knobs, no tremelo. If I ever get a custom guitar I wouldn't even have a volume knob
    Ooo! That's very minimalist,care to give a reason? I can tell you, electrically, when a pickup volume is set to maximum the VC is effectively out of circuit.

I was not talking so much about "effects" more the fact that raw electric guitar signal, i.e. one that is not reproduced through a GUITAR speaker is not a nice sound. The treble response is high and harsh and the signal starts to fall off below about 1kHz. Guitar speaker response starts to fall off at around 5-7kHz and is all but done by about 10kHz. Thus much of the 'fizz' is taken out by the speaker and the undamped cabinet gives a degree of 'heft' at frequencies below 1kHz.

This is one reason most 12" guitar speakers sound sort of 'right'. There are a few good tens but go below ten inches and there are very few speaker that really cut it.

This filtering can be produced electronically where it is called "speaker emulation" many amplifiers and a very few pedals incorporate such circuits (but spam forbids I name them!)

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Ooo! That's very minimalist,care to give a reason? I can tell you, electrically, when a pickup volume is set to maximum the VC is effectively out of circuit.
    The guitar just came like that, and I'm happy with it. I never touch the volume knob since I just set in on my amp. Yes, the amp combo is a 1x12 and I doubt I would ever get anything smaller. I was considering a 4x12 based on their sound, but the neighbors ....

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tHmEstanCisEntI View Post
    The guitar just came like that, and I'm happy with it. I never touch the volume knob since I just set in on my amp. Yes, the amp combo is a 1x12 and I doubt I would ever get anything smaller. I was considering a 4x12 based on their sound, but the neighbors ....
    Although a 4x12 cab CAN be more sensitive and therefore louder with a given amplifier the effect is not great and depends very heavily on the speaker motors involved. Four by 12s also really only sound great when you are several mtrs away from them (and of course, a close mic will only get ONE cone!).

But! There is a "thing" about big cabs that we like* and if you have the room and cash go for one! Once in a while, next door will be out and you can give it a good blow.

*For a variety of technical reasons.

Dave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information