How to record my guitar playing to cassette given that I like the sound from my amp?

The guitar has a one pickup and one volume knob. No tone knobs, no tremelo. If I ever get a custom guitar I wouldn't even have a volume knob :)

The guitar has a one pickup and one volume knob. No tone knobs, no tremelo. If I ever get a custom guitar I wouldn't even have a volume knob :)

Ooo! That's very minimalist,care to give a reason? I can tell you, electrically, when a pickup volume is set to maximum the VC is effectively out of circuit.

I was not talking so much about "effects" more the fact that raw electric guitar signal, i.e. one that is not reproduced through a GUITAR speaker is not a nice sound. The treble response is high and harsh and the signal starts to fall off below about 1kHz. Guitar speaker response starts to fall off at around 5-7kHz and is all but done by about 10kHz. Thus much of the 'fizz' is taken out by the speaker and the undamped cabinet gives a degree of 'heft' at frequencies below 1kHz.

This is one reason most 12" guitar speakers sound sort of 'right'. There are a few good tens but go below ten inches and there are very few speaker that really cut it.

This filtering can be produced electronically where it is called "speaker emulation" many amplifiers and a very few pedals incorporate such circuits (but spam forbids I name them!)

Dave.

Ooo! That's very minimalist,care to give a reason? I can tell you, electrically, when a pickup volume is set to maximum the VC is effectively out of circuit.

The guitar just came like that, and I'm happy with it. I never touch the volume knob since I just set in on my amp. Yes, the amp combo is a 1x12 and I doubt I would ever get anything smaller. I was considering a 4x12 based on their sound, but the neighbors ....

The guitar just came like that, and I'm happy with it. I never touch the volume knob since I just set in on my amp. Yes, the amp combo is a 1x12 and I doubt I would ever get anything smaller. I was considering a 4x12 based on their sound, but the neighbors ....

Although a 4x12 cab CAN be more sensitive and therefore louder with a given amplifier the effect is not great and depends very heavily on the speaker motors involved. Four by 12s also really only sound great when you are several mtrs away from them (and of course, a close mic will only get ONE cone!).

But! There is a "thing" about big cabs that we like* and if you have the room and cash go for one! Once in a while, next door will be out and you can give it a good blow.

*For a variety of technical reasons.

Dave.

The volume on the guitar doesn't just cut the volume, it alterates the tone. You should try it. Maybe if you play just heavy metal with a super distorted sound it won't be so useful

The volume on the guitar doesn't just cut the volume, it alterates the tone. You should try it. Maybe if you play just heavy metal with a super distorted sound it won't be so useful

That is true to a degree ut like most things "electronicallaudio" not that simple. It is actually the guitar cable that causes most of the altered tone when you crank down the guitar's V pot. The result is a fairly complex low pass filter.

On very simple solution is to put the attenuation as close to the input jack on the amp or AI as possible. Beer into water to make, two resistors in a tin.

Trouble is you see...back in MY day, peeps that dabbled with guitars, amps and tape recorders were perforce handy with a solder iron and a deck and blacker. Now, if there ain't an app for it they are buggered!

Dave.

Back