how to protect original music

mikeyj

whats the best way to protect original recordings and cheapest?
I think i read about sending it in the mail to yourself, was just woundering if there are other ways?

Protection from what? You've described what some have called "Poor Man's Copyright" which isn't exactly the best method.

protection from what, i guess just so people know its our songs when we start letting people hear our music and yes i am a poor man is there any cheap methods to date when the song was created that would stand up if songs were stolen?

Yep, you have to copyright it. The so-called poor man's copyright has never been held up in court. The $30 copyright is the only thing that will help you. And when you think about it $30 isn't much to pay for the protection you're getting.

So far what's worked for me to keep people from stealing, selling without my consent, or in general just listening to it is simply to press 1000 copies and spend every last dime touring and promoting it. :eek:

copyright

mikeyj. $30.00 will do the trick.Go to the library of congress(on internet).Go to copyright office.Dig until you find form PA(For a work of performing arts).
You can compile many songs and register the whole package at once, or register a single song -your choice.
I have many copyrights,still don't know why, LOL
Good luck

Back