How much can you speed up voice before it is obvious?

The first is as a remedial action to fix some issues.

If somethings dull,,,,I wanna put a little shine on it.......................

That is the magic of it! Not in makin Pavarotti sound great, but making the quiet girl in the back sound like a star. It can be done. I seen it.

Last edited:
That means room treatment, proper recording levels, and mic placement. All of these are very important. It gets much more simple once you nail that down.

Yes, I am trying to figure it all out. I use tools and gauges and meters. That helps me. People telling me their recipe for success helps me. Presets, thank god for presets.

When i first got my Daw going with the Apollo. I tried some basic tests, that from the analog board work , but not from the DAW. This has to be the ASIOs or driver sound card related. Setup error.

I tried coping basic feedback . I could not. A test tone or two from the PA to the DAW, and again different.
How do I copy this? Copy these waves , see if you can. Feedback is really hifidelity and a good range test. Use meter and O scope. -16 LUfs max. Ya, I can sample it and straight up copy, but the Apollo is supposed to model the 1073 neve. It should respond , no?

This is what Im getting on the scope.

freeze.

No perfect sine or wave anywhere.

With tape there was a test tone that you could setup and match to. Start from somewhere.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-11 070446.jpg
    Annotation 2020-02-11 070446.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 84
This just came to me, perhaps in 'Cold hard bitch' it is not feedback. Hmmmmm. Their home towns air raid siren perhaps? How do they get the movement, wave current going from right to left?

This was in my Reaper forum search. Pure sine wave needed?? - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Yes, ReaSynth makes a perfect wave, with no Apollo ASIO used. WIN ASPI defaulted instead. But I want to record with my microphone not be stuck in ReaSynth. I need to make sine waves with XLR and 1/4" inputs.

Last edited:
Man, I seriously have to state that you are again looking to create a perfect something that does not exist.

There is no perfect sine wav and no preset is going to work for every voice/instrument/situation.

Things like presets from some software can help initially as a starting point, but you have to find what works for you for yourself.

Not anything ever works for all every time. You gotta listen and make your own judgments on what is needed. Don't throw in software as if it is needed just because it is there...

Man, I seriously have to state that you are again looking to create a perfect something that does not exist.

There is no perfect sine wav and .

Awe man... The DAW cannot make a sine wave? Why because it is digital? I was told a 44.1khz mix makes a 'perfect sine wave' in my newbie thread. So I have been trying to make it with 1/4" and XLR's . I was wasting my time cause it cannot be done. Wonderful.

I wanted smooth, solid, nice, soft, full, waves. Not this

Annotation 2020-02-11 070701 (2).jpg

Well yall can see my recorded information looks nothing like anybody else's. So I am going to assume that there is a problem. You already know I do not know anything about recording. Some fragmented memories of my youth perhaps.

This aint mic placement.
A sine wave should be recordable without room treatments, so I m gonna hold off on that one. Sines out on my 8trk.
Levels. Ok. Perhaps, but these are not clipping or even hot tracks.

Last edited:
Compression or no compression? 6 dry natural or 12 dolby hi band compression. I say 12.

I put away the mics and this is all VSTs from UA. It sounds decent. I guess. Doesnt anybody else see the waves? Want to ride them! To the end. In one straight shot at the speed of light. I could spend an entire afternoon making waves in the O scope with different instruments. Peaks and valleys. Places to hide love.

If this is all it is. Let me work with it and see how I can make it MORE. The reel to reel makes better waves on the O scope, and that DOES sound better to me. I want to attach my 8 track to my Apollo. Go Hybrid.

USB Apollo
V76 Unison model

Fender jazz bass direct 1/4" UA VHT preset 'just bass' on the only insert

Fender straight O caster direct 1/4" UA Plexi preset ' warm guitar 2' is only inserted

USB midi, Some fake Roland sound cloud VST piano on a plastic keyboard. Grand something..Bright Grand.

Daw Reaper. Nothing. 44.1khz. After everything was mixed i added a Dolby encoder VST called 'Type A'. It is at demo setting, default values.

Attachments

• heartwuillgo-012.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • heartwuillgo-006.mp3
    688.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well, your Apollo only has two inputs, if you want all 8 tracks coming out of the tape machine, then you will need 8 inputs or a mix down.

Your analog coming in dry is pre-processing. The reason for this is, if you set compression, then the compression inside the DAW can be adjusted and your dry signal is not changed. Only when it is sent to the master bus is it compressed. Same thing with dry guitar input.

Unprocessed signal you can adjust the effect, reverb, EQ, whatever and if you don't like it, you can adjust it without having to do a new take because of a bad choice your effect's setting.

This isn't that uncommon from the analog world. Especially after multi-track recorders. Dry input to the channel, that recorded channel was then ran back out to a post processor and then the post processed signal would then be recorded to a new channel. But the original take would not have to be done again.

In digital, post processing signal is done "in the box" and the effect is heard, but it doesn't change the original track recording. Much more forgiving.

One great take and now you can change amps, EQ, compression, whatever to optimize for the mix.

If you want to use outboard gear, then I think it has been stated, record, bring it into the DAW, run it back out to your hardware and back in to a new channel that is post processing. Example, guitar 1/channel one. Record take, channel two guitar processed. Play track one, use the interface channel one out to run it through post processor (say DBX), DBX out to interface in put 2 and record track two for the post processed recording.

If you want to stay analog for most of your recording. Then I suggest keep your setup analog and just do your mix down into the DAW. Use the DAW for converting to digital or use it for mastering. Otherwise, you are really making your digital journey really complex. But what you want to do can be done, just have to think through what it is you want to do.

To be honest, I didn't hear a real difference between the two, playing on my small JBLs. I even pulled out the headphones and cranked them up.... not a big difference to me.

To be honest, I didn't hear a real difference between the two, playing on my small JBLs. I even pulled out the headphones and cranked them up.... not a big difference to me.

Thank you for your honesty.

I completely agree.

DM60, I honestly didnt know the DAW could NOT produce a sine wave. Stupid me.

So I make it with the tape heads in the reel to reel. No problem. Just another piece of the puzzle.

Hook up method. Look good? DAW taking from Tape out RCA.
Annotation 2020-02-19 133847.jpg

Well, your diagram really has a lot going on. It is "eat the elephant in one bite" approach.

I think if you want to incorporate outboard gear into your recording, there are many who do this, they probably have a better way of doing it, but I would do it on a case by case bases. Some tracks get this, some don't. But if you are in Reaper, there are no limits to the number of tracks. Eventually when you get it, your workflow will get much better.

But I think staying in the box for now and only concern yourself with tracking and mixing would be your best bet at this time. Then later determine how to incorporate your analog gear into the process.

DM60, when you press record in your DAW does it record the sound in the room as it sounds?

Or does it get thin like all my recordings? I can use the Laptop camera and get the same results. Almost.

Does it retain sine waves from analog signals? Or do they become scraggly lines? That is why I tried to do a test tone.

It is so unbelievably frustrating. I started sending emails to studios in Chicago, for engineers looking to give lessons in home recording. Cause I am stuck. I need someone to tell me what I do not know. No replies yet.

Somebody needs to lookat my setup, and say ...'no man, like this'.

Last edited:
When I press record,it records the sound in the room as it sounds . . . subject to, of course, the capabilities of the mike.

I've not experienced a sound getting 'thin'.

However, it's possible that there may be something in your signal path that is messig around with your frequencies. For example, a feedback loop or a similar can result in phase cancellation.

Smooth bass guitar sustain waves on O scope from analog 8trk signal. Playing video as audio. No sound.
YouTube

Listen for yourself its huge amounts of tone and twang in the room. Using phone cam. probaly losing a lot of the quality.

YouTube

Last edited:
For the most part, a raw wave from a is going to sound rather thin depending on how close the mic, room etc.

For example, the stuff that most of us do it straight into the interface and to the DAW. Then we take that raw "sound" and then we tweak it to the mix as post processing to the master mix (or a send, but don't think about that just yet). Example, to fatten up a voice, you can compress it, EQ, etc. If you like that take, but not the sound, then you make your changes. Add reverb, more cowbell, less cowbell, until everything sounds like you want it. More than just faders.

Once everything sounds good together, then you render it for a down mix. Don't like something, go back, make changes as long as the effects are post processed. If you record it with an effect, you have to do it over again.

Post processing is why many people will record direct input for guitars and basses so they can either (in analog) run it to an amp on in digital, run it through different amp sims. Same way with EQ and such.

Here is a file with some sine waves. I used the KVR Test tone Generator plugin. TestTone by mda - Utility VST Plugin and Audio Units Plugin - KVR Audio Plugins

There are several tones, and they are all pure sine waves. I think the first tone was 250, then 625, 1K, 2K and 40Hz. I was just playing around. Zooming in on the files, they are pretty much perfect sine waves. I normalized it to -1dBFS.

Attachments

• Test Tones Sine Wave.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 3
Here is a file with some sine waves. I used the KVR Test tone Generator plugin. TestTone by mda - Utility VST Plugin and Audio Units Plugin - KVR Audio Plugins

There are several tones, and they are all pure sine waves. I think the first tone was 250, then 625, 1K, 2K and 40Hz. I was just playing around. Zooming in on the files, they are pretty much perfect sine waves. I normalized it to -1dBFS.

OK, I can make sine wave with ReaSynth in Reaper. But thats not the point. i need to make them with analog instruments. Like in sustain areas. The interface produces jagged waves, not smooth. You can hear the difference. Its different. I don't know what the coputer is doing to it or why. If there is some box unchecked?

Back