How to make a YouTube video become popular?

Chris lawton

Hi guys and it's great to be here! I have been playing guitar and piano for 17 years (I'm 29 years old). I was in a band that got signed to a small label and spent my early 20s touring. Now I'm 29 and settled with a family and full time job but opened a YouTube account as I wanted to put music to videos when I get chance. I have done 2 videos so far and I felt quite impressed with them. I feel they sound professional and look ok. But I get like 1 view on them like every 5 days. Has anyone found any ways to make there videos more popular?

UP Sad Scene - Coldplay Piano Cover - YouTube

That is a link to my piano cover video and if you want to check out my other video click on my channel for the rock guitar song.

My aim is to get one of my videos to 100,000 views but this seems impossible.

Thanks for any advice guys

Bongofish

But when I did a lot of research into it a lot of the popular people were saying do covers to video people know as people can relate to both?

Also Mikeb I don't know if your comment was meant to be rude or whatever but I checked your YouTube channel out and your stuff is really REALLY nothing to shout about or to be able to be arrogant to other people about.

Anymore people who may have had some slight success with YouTube or the Internet can share there ideas? I don't want to be an Internet star but I do believe some people would really enjoy my stuff if I could find a way that people would click on my videos?

Thanks again guys

Most of my vids have a thousand or less views, but one has almost 30k views. I used lots of keywords on the tags. Still it took 5 years to get to that #.

I know there are people that can manipulate search engines to get views like that in a month's time, but I don't know them.

Good luck.
:D

Cheers RFR

it's really weird because there's some really not good videos/music out there with over a million views??? I just don't get it.

30k views is not bad when you think of how many people that actually is who have sat down and listened to your song :). Well done.

I spend a long time getting the quality of my music high that it seems such. A waste of no one will ever listen to it ......

Billions of people are in cyberspace looking at a kazillion things.

The trick is how to get them to look at one drop in the sea.

If you're serious start looking to find people that can get you noticed.

I sympathize. There is some shit out there that gets millions of views overnight.

Cause it's great stuff? Nope, plenty of great stuff with minimal views.

Someone knows how to get it viral.

Find those people.

When you guys find the recipe, let me know.

I have a video on Youtube that has 103 views!!!!! I still come here to interact with the common folk, though. :D

EDIT: I Just checked. I'm up to 119 views now. Please, no autographs. Talk to my agent. :)

He's a secret agent....even to me. I've never met him. It ain't helping my career. :eek:

Videos go viral because there is something in them that catches the public's imagination.

It's not about good, or bad, talent or no talent . . . it's about quirkiness, uniqueness, and as Tadpui said, "having content that people are interested in."

Then again, you would want your video to be popular for the right reasons. This video has had over two million hits, but I'm pleased it's not me up there:

I had to develop a new dance style, learn another language and dress like an idiot, but I got over 2 billion hits on my video....

Just kidding, that's not really me. But you've got to make a video that stands out.

What is it about your video that is a strobe light among candles?

Hehe...Yeah, that's a legendary video. :D (The Pink Floyd one, I mean)

Hey, my video has an armless mannequin playing guitar with boxing gloves on. Now THAT'S entertainment!!!!!

Hehe...Yeah, that's a legendary video. :D (The Pink Floyd one, I mean)

Hey, my video has an armless mannequin playing guitar with boxing gloves on. Now THAT'S entertainment!!!!!

And if only you had been doing a Pink Floyd cover it would have gone viral.

But when I did a lot of research into it a lot of the popular people were saying do covers to video people know as people can relate to both?

Also Mikeb I don't know if your comment was meant to be rude or whatever but I checked your YouTube channel out and your stuff is really REALLY nothing to shout about or to be able to be arrogant to other people about.

Anymore people who may have had some slight success with YouTube or the Internet can share there ideas? I don't want to be an Internet star but I do believe some people would really enjoy my stuff if I could find a way that people would click on my videos?

Thanks again guys

Sorry, not meaning to be rude (and no need to be insulting - that DOES NOT help you) - but we get people coming into these forums and posting their links - just to get clicks. They don't participate in what this forum is for (home recording), they just scour the internet for places to post their links.

You might ask yourself - why do I want a 'hugely successful' (you must define what that means) youtube video? Are you hoping for monetary compensation because people click on the pop-up ads on them (does anyone really do that?) There are places that sell 'views' (and FB 'likes') - you can get 25000 for $100 or so, but what does it mean in the long run?

There are other shortcuts that could help. One pretty common way is to do a cover/video with an established channel. Take Jake Coco, Tyler Ward, Sam Tsui, Boyce Avenue. Book studio time with one of them and do a collaboration, usually you can get a good bit of views and followers just from that. Other than that, making sure your keywords are good for searches, getting material up quickly (IE before there are 10,000 covers of that song already posted). There is always a chance that something catches on and goes viral but that's pretty slim, you would need a gimmick for something like that most likely.

Defiantly not hear to just get clicks. That would be a pointless exercise.

I hope to be a long standing member on these forums as I do love home recording and love creating (what I think are) professional sounding pieces of music in the corner of my living room with my piano and guitar. When I first started home recording 10+ years ago it was on a Roland Boss BR800. Great piece of kit and I never thought my home recording sound could get any better. Now I have the whole interface set up and using sonar platinum I can't believe how much you can get grade A studio quality with just a little bit of time spent on your work.

I also do spend a lot of time planning arrangements and getting the best quality for the listener. I do love music but I'm not just posting videos to YouTube so I can listen to them, I'm posting them so hopefully it will get hits and likes and I can feel proud of my work. No matter who you are if you posted a video on YouTube of your music and you got 100,000 watches in a year and lots of likes and comments, you would feel a bit like the dogs bollocks haha.

I'm trying to think of a new cover song for my next video. Want something new and very popular but also that I can do my own touch to it, like slow it down and make it more melodic.... Hmmm

Take a VERY fresh pop song and cover that before anyone else does.

Tag the shit out of it
Do it good, do it first, and do it inventive.

Done right, and you'll ride the wave of the hit song.

I'm not fond of Lady Gaga, but saw this video of a chick and a guy covering one of her tunes just with an acoustic and her voice.

She was real good and got in the game early. It got LOTS of views.

And to my surprise, stripped of all the dance music production, it was actually a great song

For you, keep pumping out content, subscribe to other channels, eventually people will subscribe to you, and a little network will build up. Always use lots of tags, even seemingly unrelated. Like Marshall. Sooner or later your vid will come up for someone checking out amp vids.

Don't expect overnight magic, you don't have the mktg power of Wevo behing you.

Back