How to make this sound?

elcomportal

Hi,
i want to create a sound like the atached sound. I'm using Cubase 5, but i don't know how to make this sound. Have anybody an idea and can help me?
Is it better to use a VST or MIDI? I have tried some instruments and a reverb, but it's not that what i want. :(
Thank you.
Regards
Torsten

Attachments

• sound.mp3
    42.1 KB · Views: 24
A one second clip? no context?

To be honest, it sounds like a zillion on board useless presets on a keyboard/synth. You know B203 on a Korg, Roland or Yamaha.

Your problem is familiarity with the sounds you already have available. Many synths have these moving evolving synthetic sounds usually as multi-part layered sounds. Looking around my synth collection that would be thousands of sounds to go through one-by-one. I've a collection of VSTi sounds based on old Korg synths dating back to the 80s, and something like that is bound to be there somewhere. So VSTi or MIDI depends on what you have. Internal software synths, external MIDI driven synths.

However - as you already have it (the sample you just shared), why do you want it again? I don't quite understand what you are doing.

Thank you for your answer. This sample i have "stolen" from a song. So i have to create by myself to use it for my song i have composed. And, the sample sounds not clear, there is som bass and this would not match with my bass line ?
Where can i find your samples collection?
Regards
Torsten

I think that's called a "stab" in the synth world*. There will be any number of free VST synths that can probably do it for you. Google around that and see what you come up with.

*I'm not a synth player...

There's staccato strings playing a chord A3 D3 F#3 with an electronic kick drum that drops off quickly and either a cymbal or synth white noise all inside a huge reverb.

My synth and sample collection is here!

What you have is a sound that is made from many layers of different sounds that add together to create something new. To create it will be a case of experimenting yourself, and might be a single note, or could be a sound created by laying on as many notes as you can hit at the same time. Every vsti has loads of presets, each one can be tweaked, then played. As a guide, if you have to experiment with just one vsti synth, start on programme 1, and bash a note on your music keyboard. On reed keyboards played with a mouse are useless. Mice can't hit more than one note! You might instantly reject it, or perhaps reject it after a minute or two. Then move to programme 2 and repeat. Multiply this by several synths and repeat. Even worse, the sound could be the magical combination of synth 1, programme 322 and synth 2, programme 113. I'm not joking. Creating sounds that really need to be specific to a project are always down to guided luck and knowing your equipment. I still believe that this will be a preset on a real synth, that the composer knew about and remembered.

Years ago I had to recreate a Genesis track that had a kind of elephant like drone that was the key to the entire song (no son of mine). Took me two days to find just the right sound, which I knew I had....... Somewhere!

In your case, your problem will be at your end. What sound sources do you have, because we will have different ones. As I said. Can't you just use the sound you gave us? Or do you need it to be longer, different and perhaps a different note? Keep in mind the original you like, might sound dreadful if allowed to develop and lengthen.

Back