How to improve my audio quality?

phoenixblue

Hi. I'm new here and wasn't sure where to ask this question.
I have an Audio Technica AT2020 USB microphone and started using it to do some video commentary. However, the sound isn't as good as other videos that use the same microphone. Compared to other videos I watched, my audio comes out kind of bland, maybe even muffled, and my voice doesn't seem to pop out or stand out that much.

Here is a video I tested the mic on. Sorry if we are allowed to post links here, it may also be NSFW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzL8ev26sw4

I'm using the mic in a random, kind of small room. Does anyone have any tips to improve the audio, maybe equalization or audio editing tips? I simply recorded myself and then used the default Audacity compressor effect.

Thanks.

Normally, I read this sort of stuff an immediately think "Small room, not enough broadband treatment, etc., etc., etc."

In this case, I'm going to suggest that it's your voice. A little energy in the delivery would go a long way. Technically, it sounds fine. Clear, clean, etc.

Thanks. I guess I have to work on my voice. Listening to other videos such as music videos and commentary videos by big channels, and then switching over to my video, my video doesn't sound as clear as them, but maybe I'm imagining it. Thanks again. Wanted to make sure everything was good before continuing.

Back