How to 'glide' from one note to another in DAW (Sonar)

flyagaricus

So, I've searched high and low for an answer to this question but with no luck. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question?

I use Sonar. I would like to be able to smoothly 'glide' or 'bend' a note from one to another using the DAW. I've discovered the 'wheel' modulation lanes but there doesn't seem to be a way to plot a trajectory to another note, or at least not that I can tell. There's just numbers from 0 - 8191. Is there no simple way to plot a curve from one specific note to another?

Thanks

It will be a pitch bend, depending on how your DAW allows you to automate this. Ans it also depends on the synth you are using. But generally you would have the two notes overlap (if the synth allows multiple voices), bend the first note down to where it is the same tone an the next note, then when the next note takes over, put the pitch bend back to neutral.

Once again, this depends on your synth you are using. I have some that will just do one note at a time (no chords) and others that allow, well, many voices at a time.

Check your synth first and make sure it can do multiple voices.

It will be a pitch bend, depending on how your DAW allows you to automate this. Ans it also depends on the synth you are using. But generally you would have the two notes overlap (if the synth allows multiple voices), bend the first note down to where it is the same tone an the next note, then when the next note takes over, put the pitch bend back to neutral.

Once again, this depends on your synth you are using. I have some that will just do one note at a time (no chords) and others that allow, well, many voices at a time.

Check your synth first and make sure it can do multiple voices.

I'm using Serum mostly. I just can't figure this one out. I can figure out a way to do it in Serum, as you can apply a modulator to control the pitch, but Sonar doesn't have anything as obvious as that.

I seem to recall on old synths that there was often a portamento setting which would slide from one note to the next if you held the first key when pressing the second. I think Lucky Man by ELP is an example. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar for virtual synths.

Ah I get it. I target the pitch wheel in Serum using an automation lane. I guess that can kind of work. Not ideal as there's no way to know where you're placing your nodes unless by ear, or a tuner plugin.

Back