How do you Collaborate?

hayden1208

I am a vocalist and pianist and I like to work with friends to help me round out songs that I have floating around in my head. I have always hated the emailing back and forth to do that, so I ended up not doing much collaboration at all. My first question is how do you collaborate with others?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Record, upload files to Dropbox. If someone uses the same DAW, you can send them the whole project folder (which includes all the track files).

Soundcloud/dropbox.
I've succesfully collaberated with three other people from this website that way. Yes, it's tedious but I'm buying a plane ticket to the USA to pick up a vocal track. So in relation to that, it's easy.

Has anyone used the function in the newest version of Cubase that allows real-time collaboration over the net? I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it could be pretty fun.

Has anyone used the function in the newest version of Cubase that allows real-time collaboration over the net? I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it could be pretty fun.

that's something I've wanted to try for ages now! I don't know how good it will be

I don't know any of these 'real time' collaboration or jam things work - there is an inherent delay in 2-way net communication. No big deal for voice (Skype) but to play along, I don't get it at all. What isthe Cubase thing - it automatically updates the other guy's project as you record on yours?

I sit down in a room with another guitar player and a drummer and jam. Or sometimes I play with another player who writes songs. I record him and then embellish the song on my own, and then send it to him to see what he thinks.

What isthe Cubase thing - it automatically updates the other guy's project as you record on yours?

Steinberg has a video about it, it's calledVST Connect. Looks like there is latency with video but the audio signals are somehow synced up. But yeah, looks like it can go both ways - you can record on someone else's or they can record on yours.

I'm surprised more people don't have their own site. They're pretty cheap these days. I just host stuff on my site, on an "un-published" page, which means it's hidden from the public. Then, I just send the link to whoever I'm collobing with.

Back