How do I improve my recording sound?

Aggie_Cowboy007

I want to improve my recording sound. I just record vocals and acoustic guitar. I have an HP Pavilion computer with a microphone inside the top of the monitor. This is what I have been using to record.

I am using n-track as my multi-tracking program.
I have an intel soundcard.

I have a couple questions:

1) To improve the input sound will I need to get a microphone?
2) Can I buy a microphone that I can plug directly into the back of the CPU?
3) If so, what type and model of microphone should I get?
4) Are there any good ones under $100?

Thanks!!!!

1. Absolutely
2. Yes
3. Don't ask me they all suck.
4. Absolutley not.

Your best bet for a quick fix is to get a decent mic and a real preamp. An SM57 and Audio Buddy are a good cheap combo. The next step would be to upgrade your sound card. Check out the Maudio cards for some good starter cards with high quality.

1) To improve the input sound will I need to get a microphone?

Yes Absolutely !!!!

2) Can I buy a microphone that I can plug directly into the back of the CPU?

The back of your CPU has a 1/8" mini plug, get a small Mackie mixer it has XLR inputs that will allow you to hook up a decent mic, then get a cable with 1/4" plugs on one end and 1/8 on the other so you can hook up the output of the mixer to the sound card.

3) If so, what type and model of microphone should I get?

An OK low cost mic,... Shure SM 48 (about $50.00)

4) Are there any good ones under $100?

It depends what you mean by "good".....
Real good,. NO
Better than what you are using now,. YES

The best thing to do is what Tex said, but if you are on a budget
that getup will definitely get you a much better sound than the one you are getting from that computer mic.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have checked into gettting a SM 48 or maybe a 58. The prices are pretty good!!!
So, if i tag team that up with Audio Buddy I will be ready to go?

Any advice on where to place the microphone?
For: voice recording
acoustic guitar

mic price

I don't know aloabout recording as of yet but you can get great deals on the sm57 at musiciansfriend.com for $80 per mic. I haven't and don't know anything about the sm48 but the sm57 according to things I've read and I've read alot says that the sm57 is a standard and all around favored mic. Of course there are better ones but not for the money . Were I live they cost $150 something you may know aready just trying to help.

Regarding mic placement.

A couple of general rules of thumb.

For vocal - place the mic at a heigth of about the bridge of your nose pointing down (toward your mouth). Try standing about 6"-8" from the mic (but depending on the gain level of your preamp you may need to get a little closer. If you get pops (from P sounds) you could build a cheap pop screen with an embroidery hoop and a nylon.

For guitar - start with the mic pointing at about the 12th fret of your guitar about 4"-6" from the guitar. If you need more "body point the mic toward the soundhole and if you need less body (the guitar sounds "boomy") point the mic away from the soundhole.

Point the mic away from the computer (and allow for some distance) to avoid picking up the fan noise of the computer.

An SM58 if a better mic the the SM48 (the 58 is a stage standard for a vocal mic), and as gospelsing said, the SM57 is also a good all around dynamic mic.

Back