Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to convert audio file to these parameters?

Thanks

how to convert audio file to these parameters?

Sign in to disable this ad
    In order to upload audio files to a certain site, I need to meet these requirements:
    Audio: 32 Kbps, 22,050 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono, MP3

Usually, my raw files are in WAV or MP3 format.
    How to convert them to the required parameters?
    Preferably, free software...

Thanks
    If it's kbps that is MP3, just extremely low quality. (This is spoken word, right? Music sounds like crap at this rate.)

Bounce and dither your source from 24-bit to 16-bit to start, if it's not already there. I'd keep it WAV format still.

Then, it depends on your DAW. I can bounce out from Logic to a 64 stereo/32k mono and if I set the Stereo out to Mono I get that 32kbps file.

Audacity can *export* to fixed rate mono that low, and it's free.

Not sure what that 22050Hz means. Is that max frequency? You could lowpass it to guarantee that, I suppose.
    Last edited by keith.rogers; 11-05-2018 at 14:00. Reason: Fix my incorrect statement about Audacity
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    If it's kbps that is MP3, just extremely low quality. (This is spoken word, right? Music sounds like crap at this rate.)

Bounce and dither your source from 24-bit to 16-bit to start, if it's not already there. I'd keep it WAV format still.

Then, it depends on your DAW. I can bounce out from Logic to a 64 stereo/32k mono and if I set the Stereo out to Mono I get that 32kbps file.

Audacity can *export* to fixed rate mono that low, and it's free.

Not sure what that 22050Hz means. Is that max frequency? You could lowpass it to guarantee that, I suppose.
    Yeah, it's lectures, and even for that, it's low quality, but that's the rules...
    Thanks for answer.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Samplitude does this very nicely.

See attached, first the .wav is converted to 16 bits at 22050 Hz. I would save that to Dtop then plug it back into Sam to do the MP3 smash.

Unfortunately the free Silver version seems to be stopped (but if you can find a download MAGIX will still activate it) but you could download a months demo of Pro X. Magix Music Studio probably has the same converter in it.

Reaper will almost certainly do it but, compared to Sam, I found the process much more "clunky".

Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sam-samples-png  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Samplitude does this very nicely.

See attached, first the .wav is converted to 16 bits at 22050 Hz. I would save that to Dtop then plug it back into Sam to do the MP3 smash.

Unfortunately the free Silver version seems to be stopped (but if you can find a download MAGIX will still activate it) but you could download a months demo of Pro X. Magix Music Studio probably has the same converter in it.

Reaper will almost certainly do it but, compared to Sam, I found the process much more "clunky".

Dave.
    Thanks.
    The thing I don't understand is the 22050Hz. If file is converted to 16 bits, will it always be at 22050 Hz?
    My AIMP audio converter doesn't have a separate parameter for Hz, but it does the rest.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shmu26 View Post
    Thanks.
    The thing I don't understand is the 22050Hz. If file is converted to 16 bits, will it always be at 22050 Hz?
    My AIMP audio converter doesn't have a separate parameter for Hz, but it does the rest.
    The only reason I can think of for the 20k sample rate requirement is because the audio will be going through an HF limited system and they want to keep out of band signals out. FM cuts off at 15kHz so a 32kHz rate would be ok. AM radio, bugger all past about 4kHz! Then, I seem to think MP3 has little beyond 10kHz "left" anyway?

Even Samplitude does not do a "one shot" 24 bit, 44.1kHz .wav to the 16bit 2050Hz MP3 form AFAICT hence my stepwise procedure.

Dave.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The number is the sample rate - we are pushing it higher usually - 44.1, 48, then we doubled it to 96 and then again to silly figures.

The sample rate has an impact on file size too - so a 20KHz sample rate gives a small file size, but still allows the upper limit to be 10KHz, perfectly high enough for clean speech, which rarely goes much over 3.5/4K tops. The one they have chosen makes a lot of sense for lectures - keeping up and downloads speedy yet not compromising quality too much. the bits per second is just a maths product. I just checked Cubase and it happily does 22050Hz 16 bit mono - it's one of the available options.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I discovered that I can do what I need with my free AIMP audio converter.
    The quality comes out pretty good for these parameters, and the uploader of the website accepts it.

annotation-png

Thanks
    I don't think there's any need to go to 16 bit before compressing to mp3.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The snag is that if you create a 24bit mp3, not all players can replay them. I don't think any of the ones I use can? EDIT - I created a 320k, 44.1K stereo 24 bit mp3, and all the MP3 players I have on the machine will play it - and all the variations I've tried. So it's perfectly feasible to create mp3s in whatever quality format you wish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thread Information