How to connect multiple computers

Quinn

Hey Everyone,

New here and new to the recording software world. I've been playing music all my life (Mid 20's) but I'm finally ready to start recording everything I want. But first I have a big question.

So I have a Focusrite Interface hooked up to a desktop PC in a practice space with internet access. On the PC I currently have Pro Tools First installed and will most likely be upgrading to the regular version of Pro Tools once i get this situation figured out.

I now have a decent laptop at home capable of supporting recording software without any trouble and would love to be able to record something in my practice space and then be able to work on it at home if need be. Will I have to pay for 2 yearly subscriptions for Pro Tools to have them on both computers? Another way i thought to get around this is to keep Pro Tools First on my desktop, record guitar there, save it to a USB drive, take it home to my laptop that would have the normal version of Pro Tools and be able to edit, add plugins, reverb, delay, etc, all on my laptop after i recorded it. Would this be possible or would they both need the same version of Pro Tools to work?

Any insight would be extremely helpful. I have a creative mind but I need to learn the more technical aspect of music production now.

Regards,
Quinn

Not sure what your really asking...how to physically connect multiple computer...or how to install the same Pro Tool on both computers...or ...?

Yes, you can physically connect two computers with a null modem cable.

Not sure about Pro Tools or your version...but many DAW apps allow you to have more than one installation...usually 2-3 is the norm, or some will work off of as dongle/flash drive authentication...so you simply place the dongle into the computer you are currently using before you boot up.

There's a lot of people who work on across multiple systems....so yes, it is possible...it comes down to specifics and what you have, it's capability and how its configured.

Some people just buy two copies so that they don't have to shuttle anything between computers...but then, you're still going to be moving files, and you have to constantly maintain both systems to the latest version of those files so you don't get mixed up between them....IOW...you always update both DAW sessions, on both computers to the latest versions of the project..etc...and sometimes you need to also update the actual computers for plugin versions, so that they too are the same.

I would recommend you look at Reaper if you want to use more than one computer. The license allows you to put it on multiple machines as long as you're just using one computer at a time. $60 and you're good from v6 to v7.999 which is probably about 3-4 years. You can try the full version free for 2 months. It will continue to work but it will give you a "nag" screen asking you to register.

I've actually got Reaper on 4 different computers, depending on whether I'm on my main recording machine, the desktop upstairs, or my laptops (one is an old I3 machine and doesn't really get used any more.) You just need to have the license file on each computer. All my computer have access to a network hard drive hooked to the router. I can put my files on there and pull the project up anywhere. I could even put the project up on my Dropbox account use it anywhere in the world.

ProTools is $30 a month for the basic subscription. Per their user license:

Device (“node locked”) license. You may install one copy of the software on one hardware device and use the software on only that device for your internal business or your personal enjoyment. Software subject to a device license may be offered on a subscription basis.

You can buy multiple licenses or concurrent (or commuter) licenses, but you have to pay additional for that privilege.

I would rather spend that extra $300 on a nice microphone or something.

More so the latter half of your first line. 2 computers that are in different towns, and I'm trying to figure out if its possible to link them so I work on one project in one place and edit them somewhere else. From your response and the person below, it looks like it is absolutely possible but its going to cost me an extra 300 a year for the license.

Almost seems like it would be better, cheaper, and easier to just get pro tools on my main recording desktop in my practice space and just everything on there.

Appreciate both of your comments here!

More so the latter half of your first line. 2 computers that are in different towns, and I'm trying to figure out if its possible to link them so I work on one project in one place and edit them somewhere else. From your response and the person below, it looks like it is absolutely possible but its going to cost me an extra 300 a year for the license.

Almost seems like it would be better, cheaper, and easier to just get pro tools on my main recording desktop in my practice space and just everything on there.

Appreciate both of your comments here!

I would agree. Protools seems to get you on subscription for each location. Cubase would use a dongle that you could carry. Reaper is almost free.

I would say just use Reaper at the remote place, and do your Protools work at the main location. It isn't as convenient, but it will work. Any of the modern DAWs have the same recording quality. Much easier to use the same DAW at each location, but as usual, Protools is a pain in the ass...

I have Reaper on four computers: my main desktop, a second 'emergency' desktop, a laptop that I use for remote recordings, and now on a macbook that I am trying out. I can freely work on any particular project on all of them, as they are all networked. However, it's not without problems, the biggest being making sure that they all have the same plugins.

Additionally, since the advent of Covid 19, I have been doing more distance recording, i.e. people record their parts remotely and send them to me. There are two in particular who also use Reaper, so we can exchange Repaer projects freely.

Just checked - Yes, they offer cloud services for both.

license.jpg

pt.jpg

So basically go to file>Start collaboration, save + quit.
Then in ilok manager deactivate your PT license.

From there on it looks like you just sign in using ilok credentials when PT (anywhere) says "where's the license at?"

Back