How can I create my own digital loops?

chaaaaaa

What program(s) do I need to use to create my own loops?
Approximately how much will it cost?
I’m currently using Acid Pro 2.0. I want to use Acid’s interface, but I want to make my own loops instead of using pre-made loops Acid offers.

How can I make my own loops?
Where do I start?

Thanks!

Hammerhead is a real easy to use shareware program for making drum loops. It comes with a number of drum samples and you can find a lot more if you look around.

Ben

Loops

Acid Pro 2.0 is supposed to come with a copy of Sound Forge XP 4.5, so you shouldn't have to buy anything.
According to Sonic Foundry you can use Sound Forge XP 4.5 to create and edit Acid loops but Ive never actually tried it.

If you surf the net you can fin a myriad number of drums, kicks,hi hats, 808s, 909's, etc (or purchase a CD with drum samples and percussion sounds on it).

You could use Acid 2.0, Fruity Loops, Rebirth, Drum Station and/or Sound Forge (they have preloaded with percussion and effects).

If you are using Acid you could cut, paste, and stack your WAV. files (make sure they are "oneshots".

And if you will be using Fruity Loops, Rebirth, and/or Drum Station you can just place (highlight) the various pieces where ever you want them to fit in your pattern.

Once you have constructed your "loop", you can send it to Sound Forge to convert it into a Wav. file.

(In fact all of these programs allow you to SAVE AS a WAV. file. But, you will still need an Editing Program (i.e. Sound Forge)

PEACE...

Spin

P.S. Post us back if you need more info...:D

More questions

Hi, thanks for your help, but I do have Acid Pro 2.0 and I am very familiar with making music through it. I also have Soundforge 4.5.

What I want is something where I can make a loop from scratch. I don't want to use all these pre-made loops.

Please help.
And thanks again for the replies.

Uh, chaaaaaa, that's what we're telling you. You can use virtually anything that will record audio to make audio files that you can use as loops. But you have to record something first -- hit a drum or a cardboard box or whatever. Then trim the ends of the sound so it will loop cleanly, and use Sound Forge XP's Acidizing tools.

Exactly what Al Chuck said. :D

You say that you are well versed with Acid and SoundForge but I wonder...

Please, do not get offended.

I will try to share this info with you in a different light. :)

Record a friend saying "Boom".

Truncate the Boom WAV. in SoundForge.

Open Acid.

Make your PLAY REGION 1.1 to 5.1

Enable the LOOP function

Open your Boom WAV.

Draw it in.

Double click it (to open your PROPERTIES TAB).

Press the TRACK TAB.

Press the TRACK TYPE arrow.

Click on ONE SHOT.

Place a BOOM at 1.1

2.3 etc... :)

Then open another WAV. of your friend saying "CHAT" (after you have TRUNCATED the beginning and end of the Chat sample).

Place those where you want, say 1.2

2.4 etc...

It is as simple as that... :)

BOOM-CHAT-----BA-BA-BOOM-BOOOOOM-----CHAAT-CHAAAT.

Same as using a kick and a snare (or a triangle and a hi hat...or whatever you want to use for your percussion).

You can place whatever where ever. And you can make your drum tracks as complicated or as simple as you want.

I hope that this angle of vision helps you to understand what we are trying to share with you.

Peace...:D

SPIN

More questions...

Hey online internet website friends,
Thanks for your lengthy answer SPINSTERWUN (and AlChuck).
I guess I’m not as familiar as I thought with Acid. Pro 2.0.
I thought things were a lot simpler with Acid. I never really thought of doing that. (Please don’t tell anyone I’m not too intelligent) I hope know one just read that. Asparagus.

Anyway, thanks for your explanation, I really do appreciate it.
I have another question for you guys…

I have Soundforge 4.5, but I’m not to versed in it.
Why is it better to adjust my .wav files in Soundforge rather than Acid Pro 2.0?

I know these are stupid questions, but I’m a stupid man, and I need all the help I can get in life.
Please help!

There are no stupid questions...

Sound Forge is better because there is more that you can do to the WAV file with it. ACID can only stretch and pitch-shift the audio, and do a little bit of envelope stuff like panning and volume changes, and you can apply DirectX effects (in ACID Pro anyway), but about all you can do to the original WAV files you work with is to export them as new files with whatever stuff you laid over in the mix applied...

whereas in Sound Forge (and other such programs) you can do a multitude of things to the WAV file. There must be hundreds of things you can do...

Once again Al Chuck is correct. :)

SoundForge is your EDITOR. So, it will be neccessary for you to become acclimated with this program.

SF can do a ton of things that Acid can't.

Direct X effects

Channel Converters

Click Removal

Vinyl Restoration

Auto Trim/Crop

EQ's

Compression

Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc....:)

And that's just for starters.

I'm not very versed in creating beats, but I was wondering if any of these programs have a beat slicer that you can use to change the BPM of sampled beats. I've played around with REX files and have really been impressed with those. I don't have Steinberg's Recycle program, but it sounds great. Is anyone familiar with this?

Back