How is the audio in these videos being recorded?

yogavideos

Hello! I am looking to make some yoga videos and one of my main concerns is capturing quality audio, whilst needing to do lots of moving around during the videos.

I thought it might be easiest to just show you what I am hoping to accomplish, so here are a few YouTube vids that have exactly what I would be doing. You can see the transmitter in her lower back, but in some of the videos (like the first and second link) I cannot even spot the lav mic. In the 3rd link I can see it attached high on the chest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWobp3phsEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AigVwIFvmAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7U_M3JvblM

Can anyone tell what equipment she is using or advise on how I can accomplish the same? (ie: where is the mic in the videos where I cannot spot it?)

Any advice or points in the right direction are very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Arlette

There's crap loads of room noise in those. No lav... Likely just a half-decent condenser in a relatively lively (but I'll bet there are a bunch of packing blankets or something 180 from the camera) space.

It's a lav.
You can just about see it at 2:50 in this vid.
You can also see the pack at 12:47 in this vid and hear her the massive difference in her voice at 33:00 ish

Thanks for checking it out! I still don't see it! Where is the lav?
Any idea if it is wired or wireless or what kind it may be? I honestly don't know a whole lot about audio equipment...do you have an idea off the top of your head of what kit could achieve this sound?

Thank you again for taking the time to help!
:) Arlette

It's a lav.
You can just about see it at 2:50 in this vid.
You can also see the pack at 12:47 in this vid and hear her the massive difference in her voice at 33:00 ish

So where would that condenser be located? And what about the pack that is on her lower back? What would that be for? I'm new, so I really do not know. :) Arlette

Hi,
The system will have three main parts.
A small mic hidden somewhere on the person, the transmitter/battery pack also hidden on the person, and a receiver which is outputting to your recording device.
You always see it with reporters in movies - the clip the mic on their tie and pop the box in their pocket.

So..the thing down the back of her trousers will be the transmitter and the mic, I think, is hidden in her cleavage.
Go fullscreen, highest quality, flick to 2:50 and watch for about 10 seconds.
I'm pretty sure there's a white foamed mic in there, just barely visible.

As Massive pointed out, the sound is very roomy....so much so that you'd swear it was just a condenser on, or near the camera.
The difference, though, is the bits where's she has her face to the ground or turned to the back of the room.
You'd struggle to make out what she's saying if it was just mic across the room.

Weighing the pros and cons, I think a lav is the tool for the job.

Actually, yeah. That's 100% it.
Check this video out at 4:12.

Wow, good eyes! Yes, now I see it. Any suggestions off the top of your head as to what might accomplish something like this? A quick look at B&H shows wireless lavs from $140 up to $900. Any idea as to what it would take to accomplish what she has going on? Or what I should focus my buyers research on?
Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful in your responses!

Honestly, No. I have no idea about lav mics at all but if this thread doesn't get more attention from others, maybe you could start a new one in the microphone section called 'lac mic recommendations' or something?
You'd probably get more bites in there. :)

In the mean time, have a site search for lav or lavalier.
Might find some recommendations in older threads.

The aerobics gals generally wear a headset and yell at the punters. (UK peeps will have seen the Specsavers ad.)

Any reason why that won't work? Been a long time since I used any but it pays to buy (hire?) the best quality radio mic gear you can and make sure it is LEGAL at your 10/20!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZeO5oc428

Hah! I am wrong, she isn't wearing a headset but I am sure YKWIM?

Dave.

Yup. Steenamaroo has it right. In the various videos you can easily see the transmit pack clipped inside her trousers in the middle of her back, and brief glimpses of the actual mic, once with a white cover on and once black.

You're right that there's a wide range of pricing on lav mics. I wouldn't go for the super cheapies but you probably don't need the top of the range either. I have a couple of Sennheiser XSW12 sets which have given me good service for several years now. One thing I tend to do is buy cheap (around $30) mics from China and use them like a disposable--with a touch of EQ they sound fine.

In terms of mic placement, yes, headsets are often used--or with a clip on you'd likely get better quality if you clipped it to the clothing nearer the mouth and didn't worry so much about hiding it. People are used to seeing and ignoring clip on mics on every news or interview programme they ever watch.

Two caveats:

First, not all video cameras let you plug in a microphone, be it an RF lav or some kind of short shotgun condenser. However, you could do what I do and record the audio directly into my laptop DAW (with a clapperboard app on my phone) and then using that to sync the audio when I edit.

Second, make sure you check the frequencies you can use in your location, both that they're in a legal range and also that there won't be interference from powerful TV transmitters.

The aerobics gals generally wear a headset and yell at the punters. (UK peeps will have seen the Specsavers ad.)
Haha...Yes. I know the one.

Yup. Steenamaroo has it right. In the various videos you can easily see the transmit pack clipped inside her trousers in the middle of her back, and brief glimpses of the actual mic, once with a white cover on and once black.

You're right that there's a wide range of pricing on lav mics. I wouldn't go for the super cheapies but you probably don't need the top of the range either. I have a couple of Sennheiser XSW12 sets which have given me good service for several years now. One thing I tend to do is buy cheap (around $30) mics from China and use them like a disposable--with a touch of EQ they sound fine.

In terms of mic placement, yes, headsets are often used--or with a clip on you'd likely get better quality if you clipped it to the clothing nearer the mouth and didn't worry so much about hiding it. People are used to seeing and ignoring clip on mics on every news or interview programme they ever watch.

Two caveats:

First, not all video cameras let you plug in a microphone, be it an RF lav or some kind of short shotgun condenser. However, you could do what I do and record the audio directly into my laptop DAW (with a clapperboard app on my phone) and then using that to sync the audio when I edit.

Second, make sure you check the frequencies you can use in your location, both that they're in a legal range and also that there won't be interference from powerful TV transmitters.

Thank you, Bobbsy. :)

Great points...and nice one Bobbsy. Perhaps I am missing something, but is there an advantage to using a wireless vs just tucking my Zoom h4n into my lower back (instead of the transmitter for a wireless), thereby having a direct connection?

If I did go with the wireless, would you say the RodeLink wireless system is overkill for shooting such videos?

Last thing, Steenamaroo, you mentioned the videos sounding "roomy" forgive me...what exactly does that sound like, or better yet, what would you do to prevent audio from sounding this way?

Your knowledge has been so helpful already. Thank you both.

Hi again,
There's no huge advantage between wireless and portable recorder, although I'd still use a lav mic either way.
The zoom might be bulkier...That's a consideration.

Also, if you like recording your audio and video together in one software suite, 'live', wireless would save you some hassle.

The roomy thing.
See when she tucks her head forward and her voice becomes much clearer, you're hearing a lot less of the room ambience.
Thing of that really dry sound you get from quality radio hosts or Morgan Freeman movies.

All the same, I don't think a bit of ambience matters in a video like this. What you hear matches what you see.

I don't think there really is much you could do about it without unjustifiable expense, although her room does look like it'd be particularly 'live'.
If your room has carpet, curtains and a sofa, for example, it will sound a lot less active.

You know what...
Considering how ambient her recordings are and given the fact that you already have an H4N, I'd try just recording with the h4n set in front of you, using the built-in stereo mics.
If you don't want the recorder to be seen, just get it as close to you as you can, without it creeping into shot.
The only real compromise here is that you'll have to speak very clearly if you're doing curled-up-in-a-ball or whatever, whereas the girl with the lav didn't have to worry about that.

Yep. The big advantage (or maybe I should say small advantage) is that the transmit packs for wireless are much smaller than the Zoom recorder and therefore much easier to tuck into your trousers.

As with Steenamaroo, I might do a test recording with the H4N just out of shot but as close as possible. However, the advantage of a lav (or headset) is that the mic stays a constant distance from you and isn't affected by the various movements and poses you'll be doing.

I've never tried the Rodelink but if the receiver fits your camera it could save a bit of time in the editing process--only you could decide if your time is worth that money! :) I've spent enough years shooting "double system" and syncing rushes to even think about it.

Ahh, good to know. I was not considering necessarily just recording with the h4n with its built-in mics, but rather, since I already have a lav, was wondering if it would make more sense to just plug that lav into my h4n and tuck that into my trousers vs a wireless transmitter. I did not realize that the wireless transmitters were smaller, though...that is probably important. I'm most concerned with ease..I don't want to deal (too much) with recorders falling about. :)

Great tips. thank you. :)

Well, if you already have the lav, there's no harm in giving it a go but if it's anything like the DR40 (which I have) I expect it'll be annoying.
You may as well also give the stereo room recording a go, since it's free to try.

If both of those suck, for some reason, your decision's made for you. :)

Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

From the videos it is not possible to determine the exact brand/model of mic that is being used, but some general information.

Today in live theatre virtually all of the main characters are miced with Shure, Sennheiser and AKG units being among the most popular.

In the theatre with which I am associated, we use 48 channels (ie 48 separate wireless mic units) all being Sennheiser belt pack transmitters and for the microphone we use the DPA units (the mics alone are about $Aus500 - $600 each and come in a range of colours (light beige for Anglo-Saxon type skin, Black for those with dark skin and a slightly yellow colour for Asian type skin). The actual microphones are about the same size as a match-head so from about a few feet away they are virtually impossible to see (if mounted correctly). AND when stepped on can not be repaired, so a reasonable proportion of our budget goes into mic replacement !!!!!!!!

For most stage performances (eg Phantom, Les Mis, etc) the belt pack is generally placed in a small carry bag (either purchased or costume department made) and is then fitted (placed) in the most suitable location (quite often placed at the back of the actor and often down inside their pants --- the bag being washed after every performance as necessary).

The cable is generally fed up the actor's back (with a female often under the bra strap), past the back of the neck and often fed through the hair to sit just above the hair line (hence the term --- "hair-line mic"). The cable being held in place as it passes through the hair by the use of "toupe clips).

For males if they have a beard/side burns/etc the cable is sometimes threaded through this with the mic being placed in the beard.

At times you have to get very creative in where to place the mic, for example in a recent production of My Fair Lady, all of the nuns had their mic glued to the underside of their habits. On another occasion in a female tap-dancing production, we had to run the mic cable down the inside of their stockings and glue the mic to their ankle so as to get a really clear tapping sound over the sound of the music (eg like the tapping sound you hear on productions like River Dance --- not saying that is specifically how they got the sound on those productions however).

Quite often with young children (especially if doing a song/dance routine), because of their very soft voices, with the use of VERY special "face-tape" we actually run the cable up their back, through the hair and over their ear, with the cable running across the face and the mic being placed about 1" from their mouth, but because of the smallness of the mic coupled with its colour and that of the minutely thin cable, from about 10ft the system is virtually impossible to see from the audience.

The most important part of the placing of the mic is the time taken to VERY carefully equalize EVERY microphone to the performer and to place the microphone in a position where it is not picking up stage noises or most importantly other actors who might be close by, especially if they have no mic.

To achieve the best results generally requires a LARGE financial investment in the complete receiver/transmitter/mic unit, However having said that, I have recently imported a system from China (not a knock-off but fully designed and engineered) that is in my opinion equal to the best, but at a cost that is quite amazing (probably less than 1/10th the cost of any of the better known brands).

Re connecting the receiver unit to a camera.

Depending upon the camera (ie straight video or DSLR) it might have an audio input, but unless a better quality semi/fully professional video camera (eg some of the Sony and Panasonic units), most will only have an unbalanced microphone input.

The camera that I have been using mostly for video clips, is the Nikon D-7000 (there are newer models) which has an input for a stereo unbalanced mic (-50db), but my wireless mics (an 8-channel unit) and music backing track playback units are all "Line Level" outputs (either +4db or -10db), so I put these through a mixer and plug the stereo output from the mixer (+4db) into a small two channel +4db to -50db pad unit I designed and this is connected to the camera's mic input socket. I also send the backing track to a small portable PA unit for the artist(s) to hear and sing to.

By doing this I record full CD quality in perfect sync directly to the camera --- saves a lot of time and syncing effort later in the post production stage.

To simply use a condenser mic on a stand for the purpose that the originator requires, will not give a really good sound unless experienced microphone boom operators are employed and a high quality directional mic is used, but this type of mic will generally require phantom volts and a balanced output (ie a camera mic input that is balanced and can provide phantom volts to the mic has to be used). VERY few non-professional cameras will be able to have these facilities.

Although somewhat lengthy, I trust that there is some useful information contained within all of the above.

David

Last edited:
CSP's post reminded me that I was going to put up this photo to give you an idea of the size and shape of a radio mic pack for you compare with your zoom:

Sennheiser-XS_zpsnj7gn8nt.jpg

The relatively inexpensive XS (which is what I have) is far from the smallest unit out there. FYI my hands are, er, normal--not like Trump!

As for mics, in the theatre Sennheisers (usually the MKE2) tend to be the most common, with some people using things like Countryman and DPA. Shure is probably the second most common belt pack.

However, even on relatively high budget stuff, there is now a trend to use less expensive microphones since they are the part most likely to fail--a bit of sweat in the capsule or crimp in the cable can fail a $300 mic. Quite a few Broadway shows are buying units from MICROPHONE MADNESS and some (including me) are even trying cheap ($35 per mic) units from China. I've actually had pretty good luck with these.

I should say that in the video world, the other big player for mics and TX packs is Sony--often because they interface nicely with Sony broadcast quality cameras. Back in my TV days, the Sony ECM77 was the ubiquitous mic used for everything.

As was pointed out, you'll have to check on connections to whatever camera you're using. There ARE a number of adaptors out there that are designed to clip to DSLRs or, as I say, you can record onto your computer or maybe your Zoom and sync it up later. One brand I might check is the Lindos Multisonic but they're British and I don't know if they have a US office. However, with the present exchange rate you might get a bonus!

The give-away to it being a lav is the change in tone when she lowers her head and it gets closer. If you need really small packs, the Trantec 5000 series are pretty good.

Back