Hooking up Boss rc-50 to my laptop

sonaaaa

So I just got my Boss RC-50 looping station and I don't have the money for a set of speaker/amps yet. I was told from my vocal teacher that I could hook up the looping station to my laptop and use the speakers from that to get sound but it isn't working. I have a headphone jack plug in adapter that fits my guitar chord that is connected to the right main output plug of the rc-50, plus my microphone which isn't plugged into the designated microphone plug but the right mono instrument plug in. I have an ASUS computer with Windows 10 currently installed. Do you know how I can hook it up to my loop station and somehow get it to play the sounds I sing into the microphone?

I have an RC50 and there is no way I could plug it into my Windows 10 laptop as my laptop doesn't have an audio in socket, like a microphone in. Does your computer have an audio in?

And even if I could it wouldn't work properly anyway as the output from a looper is not going to be at microphone level. Plus there's a reason that you plug your microphone into the microphone in on the RC50 and not the guitar in, which is what you're apparently doing. Different signal levels again are at play.

Get pair of headphones and plug them into the RC50's headphone out is your cheapest solution - depending upon what your long term aim is - if you just want sound and aren't planning on recording it.

Plus just start reading up on stuff - there's a whole world of information that you're going to need to understand. Audio isn't as "plug and play" as computers - there are concepts you need to understand. Microphones, signal levels, inputs and outputs etc. Start anywhere really.

I have a headphone jack plug in adapter that fits my guitar chord that is connected to the right main output plug of the rc-50,
well, your guitar should be plugged into an input, not an output which is what you say you're doing.
..... plugging it into an output will get you nothing.
And, in general, mics don't work well plugged into guitar input.

Just taking a quick glance at the RC50 manual I can't imagine why you have it hooked up like you described.
Plug the mic into the RC50's mic input.
That's why they have a mic input .... for mics.
Plug the guitar into the R mono instrument input.

Then plug the stereo outputs from the RC50 into whatever audio input you have on your laptop ..... probably need an adapter.
If your laptop has a mic input use that ..... line signals will work just fine into a mic input although you may have to turn it way down.

If your laptop doesn't have an audio input then you're out of luck without buying an interface.
In that case get some cheap headphones for now

Ooo! That Boss looper is quite a bit of kit!
OP if cash is presently a problem look at buying a Behringer UCA 202 interface. I see the Boss is a -10dBu* device, perfectly suited to the 202 "operating level". For around $30 plus some cables it will serve for now for recording.

Now, when the cash is there for a better interface, FCS get one with MIDI ports! None better for the money of course than the Native Instruments KA6.

*if that is Ggook to you, as another poster said, time to start your edukashun!

Dave.

Back