Hooking up 2 USB audio interfaces on the same computer

FlyingDoggyJake

Hi folks,

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. I just bought the Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL (8 inputs). However, I already have the Presonus Audiobox with 2 inputs hooked up to my computer. I'm wondering if it's possible to hook up the new 1818VSL and keep the old 2 input one hooked up as well? Any ideas if this is possible and if so, is there something I should know before attempting? Any help is appreciated!

I'm pretty sure but not 100% positive that you'll only be able to run one or the other. I know you can daisy chain firewire interfaces to add more inputs but I believe usb interfaces don't daisy chain.

It could be possible if the manufacture writes drivers that can use one unit as a slave and the other as a primary interface but computers generally only recognize one audio card or interface at a time (which is why a usb interface disables your on-board audio), which is why you probably wont get both running at the same time.

We had this question only a few days ago and the answer is yes, you can run multiple USB devices but not with ASIO drivers and they will not be synced.

The attachment shows tracks set up in Samplitude ProX Silver (can a Reaper 'spert tell me if that can do it?) and I have set up a Behringer UCA 202 as tracks 1 and 2. KA6 as 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 SPDIF.

This was all set up on an HP laptop because it and the AIs were handy. In the next day or so I will try to set up something better and run some recordings.

Dave.

Attachments

• prox multi.jpg
    prox multi.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 81
The one time I tried this (latency wasn't an issue because it was a live recording) it involved a couple of Tascams and, on any take more than a minute or so, the tracks started drifting out of sync because each device was running on its own internal clock. Dragging the tracks back into sync became really boring really quickly.

Back