Home Voice recording for podcasting

Draeyoc

I'm interested in putting together a show for broadcasting over the net.

I am hoping to get decent results without spending too much. I will probably need a quality mic and I can build my own preamp/mixer with some of the op-amps I have in my collection of parts.

What I'm wondering is what type of mic would be sufficient for recording voice in the $50 range? Would a generic soundcard work fine or would I need to purchase some kind of USB audio interface like the "Ads Technology" RDX-150?
Do I really need a pre-amp or mixer if I'm just using one mic and mixing all the background tracks on the computer? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If just a plain ole mic will do, one option in your pricerange is a Shure Pg 58. I got one last year for about $48. It is a dynamic mic, so doesn't need Phantom power. Should plug in to any mic input. You are just looking to talk into the mic, right? Not capture any great sounds, just a basic voice?

Yes, it would only be for recording voice. There is a possibility that I might want to rebroadcast it on a local public access radio station in addition to podcasting so hopefully it will sound as close to a studio recording as possible without having studio quality equipment.

Wow, I went to Shure's website. Some of those mics sell for over $1000. Shure is expensive (no pun intended... well, ok, I intended it).

Thanks for the tip on the mic. I'll peruse Ebay and see if I can get one used or maybe another comparable mic for the price range I'm looking to spend. It'll be fun to get started on this. I just hope the acoustics in my computer room are adequate.

you get what you pay for

I'm writing to respectfully disagree with those who believe that cheap mics won't hurt you. There are some good deals for around $200 if you look hard enough (AT4040, GT55) that will make a HUGE difference, especiallyif you're able to build yourself a quality preamp. Assuming you are, I'd get one of those mics and an m-audio mobilepre, though they've got another for only $100, but I can't vouch for it; haven't heard it. It also sounds like you already have the software you want, so there's more savings. It also wouldn't hurt to invest in a RNC, available for $175 new. You could go a lot cheaper, but I don't think you could get "as close to a studio recording as possible without having studio quality equipment" for less than 500, and that's assuming you can teat your room with some towels and pillows and build your own pre.

Better yet, visit the studio of the station you want to broadcast at and ask them what they reccommend. While you're there, take a look at what they've got.

tc4b, it really has to depend on the goals here.

Almost all podcasts are listened to at 128mpbs or even lower for voice only. Having a $200 mic and expensive pre-amp for spoken word stuff is absolutely not worth it to the amatuer podcaster.

Perhaps the $200 mic gets you to 80/100 performance but 60/100 will do considering the needs, the format and the quality.

I agree that a good $200 mic is better all around but my point is that it's just not necessary for podcasting. There's a lot more worthwhile thing to spend that $200+ on as a new podcaster.

Tony

Last edited:
I actually found something that might work and it was given to me for free. It's a Sony ECM-K100 Electret condenser mic (pulled off an old Sony 8mm camcorder). I have to plug it in to it's own power supply, but it has decent sound when plugged into my computers Mic input. The levels are a little low. I think I may have to build a preamp for it using an op-amp (maybe a good old LM741 would do the trick). I'll experiment a little with it in the upcoming weeks and post my results when I get a sample recorded.

Back