home studio setup

jamesdolecek

so....I'm getting things together for my home studio.....monitoring what im recording is a top priority for me, so im getting an audio interface and it has a knob for monitoring but will it send the single back to me or do i zlso need a mixer.I'm just recording me...my amp is direct via usb so i just want that monitoring signal....its only me recording guitar, midi(oxygen 49) and ezdrummer.Just want everything to work like im hoping without issues....please let me know what all i need for this to work. OI just wonder how hard it will be to get that guitar monitoring single back thru since my amp is direct via usb

Without much information, ut normally, the Interface will have outputs, there you can hook up your monitors (should have headphone out and main or something), probably/most likely will need active monitors.

Tell us what the interface is and we can assist better.

I'm either getting the Focusriteb Scarlett 2i2 or the Alesis io2 and please don't talk trash I have computer speakers for right now, it is 2 spoeakers and a sub, so I will need an adapter that be 1/8 female to 1/4 dual males for the interface. I also will be getting some studio headphones anbd since I only have 50 budgeted i'm gonna get Senheisser hd 202 II, I know this is not an ideal setup but for me its a start, will get studio monitors later, I just have to get things a little bit at a time.....my main concern was being able to monitor my guitar as i redcord and since its recording usb I thought it might be tricky.

Some audio interfaces have a knob which when rotated will mix direct input from one side to computer input from the other side. Other interfaces will use software for this 'mixing' and the knob just controls the monitor volume.
You don't need a mixer - read the sticky thread about mixers and computer recording at the top of this section of the forum. While you're at it, read the rest of the sticky threads, too. Lots of good info.

Back