Home Studio--Equipment And Software Recommendations

disgruntled

Greetings everyone. Looks like a lot of activity on this forum, so I hope I get some good answers.

I have been interested in setting up a home recording studio for 10 years now. I finally have the money to do it.

What I want is a multi-track digital computerized home recording studio. I want to be able to mic my guitar amp and convert it to a digital signal that the recording software can use. I do NOT want to put MIDI pickups on my guitar.

I want to mic drums, bass, and vocals, too.

Is this possible? I also want to mix and master, and be able to output my songs to wav files that I can burn to CD.

What studio software would you recommend? Protools? I've heard some good things about Protools.

Soundcard, monitor, and headphone recommendations? Any special analog-to-digital convertors that I'll need?

What do professional recording studios use? Is that software and equipment available retail?

Let's say I have two scenarios: one where I have a budget of $2,500 or slightly more, the other where money is no object with the goal of a professional-quality setup. What kind of software and equipment do I need to have a kick-ass home studio?

Thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

EDIT:

The ability to synthesize instruments and drum tracks/samples would be a plus.

EDIT:

Real-time editing/mixing/playback is what I want. I don't want that make-a-change-wait-to-hear-it crap like the Adobe product has.

Last edited:
for the bare essenstials, take a look here.
That tells you what sort of equpiment you need to just get a decent signal into your computer.
Getting the best gear isn't gonna make your recordings all of a sudden pro-material experience/experimenting with techniques etc all adds up.

These should give you a starting point:
Interfaces
Headphones
Microphones
Under $300 Pre Amp Poll

Here some software options:
Pro Tools w/002 - $1500avg
Pro Tools w/001 - You can pick them up used as little as $100 (Ebay)
Cakewalk Sonar 4 - $300
Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio XL - $160
Tracktion 2 - $150
Steinberg Cubase SE - $100
Steinberg Cubase SX - $500
Steinberg Nuendo - $?
N-Tracks - $70

P.S Use the search function and put in what exactly you are looking for, i'm sure there will be many topics on it, and see what other users think of the product.

disgruntled said:
The ability to synthesize instruments and drum tracks/samples would be a plus.

Real-time editing/mixing/playback is what I want. I don't want that make-a-change-wait-to-hear-it crap like the Adobe product has.

As long as you get software that has support for the VST standard (most do - I KNOW Cakewalk and Steinberg do), you'll be able to use softsynths - there's a huge variety available, and kvraudio.com has a database which includes quite a few free ones.

Though some people will use "change-wait-to-hear-it crap" to edit individual takes, all the software bcains listed, and most of what people discuss here, offers everything in realtime.

The first issue is where you intend to set this up. Are recording gear and instruments to be in same room, or different? What kind of sound insulation do you have or plan? If a car drive by, can you hear it in the room? If the A/C comes on, it is audible?

You can get good digital recorders and PC software for way less than $2500. However things like mics, cables, stands, insulation, and other facts really drive the final result you can get.

Ed

disgruntled said:
I do NOT want to put MIDI pickups on my guitar.

MIDI is control and note data only--NOT audio of any sort. If you are recording direct with guitar just get a POD and call it a day; if you want to mic an amp then do that. Unless you wanted to control a sound module/synth with a guitar you have no need for a MIDI equipped guitar.

disgruntled said:
What studio software would you recommend? Protools? I've heard some good things about Protools.

ProTools is a waste of money unless you are spending the cash for an HD system, and those start around 5k. IMHO forget ProTools for a home studio.

disgruntled said:
Let's say I have two scenarios: one where I have a budget of $2,500 or slightly more, the other where money is no object with the goal of a professional-quality setup. What kind of software and equipment do I need to have a kick-ass home studio?

The problem with "money is no object" is that I could spec a 5 million dollar studio and *still* have things I'd want in there. Heck, I can list a dozen microphones that cost 6000 bucks each. The other problem is that you *WILL* spend your budget--so if your budget is "unlimited"... you are in trouble.

Ed Dixon said:
The first issue is where you intend to set this up. Are recording gear and instruments to be in same room, or different? What kind of sound insulation do you have or plan? If a car drive by, can you hear it in the room? If the A/C comes on, it is audible?

You can get good digital recorders and PC software for way less than $2500. However things like mics, cables, stands, insulation, and other facts really drive the final result you can get.

Ed

I'll take the points you mention into consideration. However, for the time being, the physical surroundings are not important. If I need to add sound dampening, soundproofing, or anything else, I'll do it.

I have the money to do what I want here. So, I want my dream toy. Professional quality? If I can do everything, computer, software, equipment, and additional basement finishing for $100k I'll do it. I'm building a house now--plenty of space. So, I could have a separate "control" room and a bigger room for the instruments with smaller rooms (guest bedrooms, billiard room, gym, etc.)

My basic concern right now is the software tools and equipment used by professionals. I know very little about this. So I would like to know what kind of stuff one can find in a professional recording studio. If that is more than I need, then I'll work downward. But for now, I want to know a direction to go in. I don't know where to begin looking and want some direction.

The last thing I want to do is spend money on something only to find that it doesn't suit my needs and have to spend the time upgrading. So Adobe Audition is out of the question.

Is there anyone here who works in a professional studio or has been in one who knows what they use? I've not been in a studio for a long time (when a friend made a demo). I think they were using Cubase--but that was long ago.

Thanks everyone.

Professional studios vary considerably. Some are software based, some hardware based. Each can produce very good results.

Once you get a reasonable digital recorder, the limiting factor are things like environment, mics, pres, and outboard effects (and of course the performers).

It is unlikely you will buy the exact right gear the first time around. Expect multiple upgrades over the coming few years.

My presonal preference is for hardware based digital recorders with mixdown on PCs. A good 16 track digital recorder can produce very good sound, and moving the tracks to the PC allows one to mix many more than 16 total tracks.

Ed

Many directions you could take. Sounds like you just need to get more of a sense of bearing and perspective with recording before you can make effective choices. I'd suggest you buy time in a variety of pro studios and have engineers guide you in listening to gear and software. Most importatly though, listen to their room acoustics and discuss how they achieved them.

To a certain extent the particular gear you get is secondary - it's just a collection of tools. The acoustic quality of the recording space is everything. There’s only so much you can do with room treatment… it’s the basic design of the room that matters most… Big spaces & very high ceilings are a good start.

Good luck to you.

Tim

Last edited:
Back