Home studio dumb question

honey badger

Hi guys I said I'd be back with more dumb questions and I always keep my promises! I'm not loving the Zoom hd-8 as its just not user friendly (to me) the only other one I have is an old fostex fd-8 which is way past its sell by date. So I'm looking for a new budget option around £100. Now I know that's going to keep me low down in the food chain mixer wise but that's all I've got to spend. As someone mentioned before not many of them have hard drives now but I don't want to hook it up to a pc I just don't like using them. Some have USB so my question is can I plug a memory stick into that USB to use as the mixers memory? Or is it simply there to hook up to a pc?
Thanks in advance

These are not mixers, they are digital recorders.
At that budget, unless you can find something used, you are only going to end up with a little hand-held recorder, like this Tascam: Tascam DR-05X Bag Bundle – Thomann UK

I don't think any digital recorders will record to a USB stick, the USB ports are made for connecting to a computer to transfer files (either into or out of the recorder).

I dont see many of the lower priced mixers that include internal recording. Those with USB require a computer and are usually 2 channel only.

Most of the current portable recorders record to SD cards. These include the Zoom R16, R24, R8, H4n H5, H6, etc. Tascam DP32, DP24, DP03, DR05, DR40, etc. They generally will record to either wav or mp3 formats. You can then pull the card and plug it into a computer for mixing, storage, or whatever.

A 16G SD card will record 4 hours of 8 channel recording with a 24bit wav file or 6 hours 8 channel 16bit. If you go to MP3 at 320K, you get much longer record times.

Unfortunately, at £100 you're going to be a the lowest end of the scale, unless you can track down a used unit. Check for things like the Tascam 2488, or a Yamaha AW16G or 1600. They have pretty good capabilities, and would be a step up from the Zoom HD8 in terms of user friendliness. In those cases, you wouldn't need a computer to do mixdowns.

Back