Home studio advice needed!

Gatis Girdenis

Hello,

So I stumbled upon this forum because I'm in need of an advice!

I kinda impulsively ordered M-Audio BX8s (which may be oversized for my needs right now, but got a fairly good deal, so simply couldn't resist), and now I need a place to set it all up, because till now I was a headphone only guy.

I own a fairly small (whole apartment is about 40 square meters), one room apartment that I want to do all, have a full size kitchen, some living room sort of area, sleeping zone, and now I'm also in need of a modest home studio setup.

By idea, I can move some things around the apartment, as it's empty for now and some walls are gonna be taken down (most likely) and some raised anyway, but I'm still limited to some of the placement.

So my actual question is here - would the additional thin wall right behind the setup (upper left corner) be useful? I'd cover it in some absorption material as well.

studio-1.jpg

Keep in mind - I don't NEED excellent results, I just need it to be as OK as I can possibly get without a ridiculous amount of effort and sacrifice, and that additional wall would be doable if there actually would be any benefit for it.

The picture is not the easiest to understand, but I could fix it up if needed be.

Help will be much appreciated!

You have neither an ideal space, nor an ideal location for your set up, with or without extra walls. It's a small area, and being trapped in a corners is not the best.

Were I in your shoes, I would not build extra walls, and try for the biggest space you can achieve. I would also be tempted to try moving your gear to up against what seems to be the bedroom wall.

You have neither an ideal space, nor an ideal location for your set up, with or without extra walls. It's a small area, and being trapped in a corners is not the best.

Were I in your shoes, I would not build extra walls, and try for the biggest space you can achieve. I would also be tempted to try moving your gear to up against what seems to be the bedroom wall.

I acknowledge it, hence I was saying that I'm not looking for it to be excellent, I just need my own corner that would do for now. In a not so far away future I'd move anyways (will need something bigger eventually, that's for sure).

What negative effects I would be looking at? At the small distance with the walls, there COULD be roughly a 200+Hz peak, if my understanding is correct, but isn't that were the absorption mats would actually be more helpful? As I look at it, if I did it without the wall, the acoustics would get uncontrollable, as well as the pots and pans would rattle, and I don't really want to put absorption mats in the kitchen. (Maybe the picture is a little misleading, but I DON'T plan on having a full wall between the room and the kitchen, although it already has one (which I'm planning on taking down)) :laughings: On the other hand, If I did the small corner where it's behind the wall and stuff, I'd gladly put as much material on the walls as the space allows.

Up against the bedroom wall could be ideal in this case scenario (even though speakers would fire right at the window, but that's where thick curtains could help) but then placing other things, such as TV (and the table for it, if needed) and the couch gets fairly rough.

Also, if that changes anything, I don't plan on recording live instruments, except POSSIBLY a voice, so it's more or less purely about sound monitoring.

Got an another idea how to make stuff more symmetrical, I'd have to get rid of the couch, but I could live with some bean bags as well, I guess :laughings:
Untitled.jpg

Now both speakers end up in corners, but it's a slightly better setup as it's symmetrical, in my opinion. And here again, I could cover a lot more with absorption mats.

Back