Home studio

MalikktheFreak

I was wondering, can I use a Stereo Receiver instead of a Stereo Amplifier for my home studio. I current have studio monitors wired to it and a Tascam DP-O2CF rca’d into the receiver.

Yes you can.
Make sure to turn off the “loudness” button if you have one and turn your tone controls to a neutral position.

I’m assuming your monitors are passive?
Because if you have active monitors there’s no need for an amp.

Further to RFR's excellent advice, may we know the make and model of receiver and speakers please?
Mainly because I am tekky/nosy but also, the amplifier needs to have adequate power for clean results.
A budget 12W per channel receiver might be fine with some 'shouty' speakers of a similar grade but will not cope with a passive monitor rated at 50W programme 100W peak.

Plus, manufctrs HAVE been known to tell slight (!!) porkies about their amplifier's power capabilities.

Dave.

I've used a Technics Hi-Fi tuner/amp (receiver) for 20 years, been on 24/7 all that time and volume on about 30%, tone control switched off, permanently set to aux input. Hitting FM is a nice source of white noise.

Yes you can.
Make sure to turn off the “loudness” button if you have one and turn your tone controls to a neutral position.

I’m assuming your monitors are passive?
Because if you have active monitors there’s no need for an amp.

I actually Gave the wrong info, it’s a Pioneer Vsx 524 an AV Receiver it’s one I had laying around the house. Could I still use it? The speakers I have are Presonus eris e3.5.

actually Gave the wrong info, it’s a Pioneer Vsx 524 an AV Receiver it’s one I had laying around the house. Could I still use it? The speakers I have are Presonus eris e3.5.

actually Gave the wrong info, it’s a Pioneer Vsx 524 an AV Receiver it’s one I had laying around the house. Could I still use it? The speakers I have are Presonus eris e3.5.

No! The Presonus monitors are ACTIVE that is they have their own amplifiers built in. Well, one of them does then you use a speaker cable to the other speaker.

The active speaker needs to be driven from the outputs of the interface. Or, you could look for some decent passive monitors but they are rare these days.

Dave.

Harley Benton PA-100 Power Attenuator – Thomann UK
That will serve as load box and deliver a line output to the AI. HB make decent kit but not soooper stuff so that load/power soak has its limitations but I doubt you will find better cheaper.

Main limitation is that it is not really up to a 100W valve amp, 30 watts, 50 at a pinch.

The mixer COULD be useful. That line output is 'raw' that is it is devoid of any filtering or tonal effects from the speaker. Top end loads incorporate "Speaker Emulation". This is a tone shaping circuit. The mixer has EQ and with a bit of upper bass lift, mid depression and rolling off the HF past 8kHz or so, you remove much of the 'fizz' of raw guitar sound.

As stated, the make and model of the amp would be delightful!

BTW don't run the ***t off even a transistor amp without a suitably rated load.

Back